Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Guido Fawkes questions William Hague's relationship with his driver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Guido Fawkes questions William Hague's relationship with his driver

According to GF, Hague spent at least two nights with his driver who has since been promoted to a Special Advisor post.

There used to be rumours that Hague was gay but they faded away after he got married. It's a tragedy that politicians still feel the need to live a lie about being gay. The real issue in this case, if Guido is right, is that the young man apparently doesn't have the qualifications for the position he is now in while other more experienced people were overlooked if not shoved out by the move. Being gay or not is irrelevant, though Mrs Hague will hardly be feeling very happy about this.

Exclusive : Hague Shared Night in Hotel Bedroom with SpAd - Guy Fawkes' blog

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If true how stupid. I wonder who is telling tales?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in 1997, Hague denied outright that he was gay.

Hague quashes the rumours: `I'm not gay' ague - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Could it be that he... lied?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there the slightest evidence that Hague is gay? Given that he's in his forties, and has been in the public eye since a young age, it's hard to imagine there'd be no evidence 'implicating' him by now, if indeed he were gay.

On another thread someone says that there used to be rumours that Blair is gay, even though he clearly isn't. Might it be nothing more than the fact that both men sometimes demonstrate mildly effeminate gestures and tone of voice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does it matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bebsaboo View Post
    Does it matter?
    Well, if he's been living a lie for years, then yes I suppose it does matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Silly season stuff.
    The real problem here is the obsession with sexuality. If two men are friends it's obvious they are gay. How dysfunctional is that? It is this intrusiveness, this kind of innuendo that makes those who are gay want to hide their life and live in the shadows. That is the real problem. Men should be allowed to have close friendships, it should be encouraged even, without having to be subjected to this kind of yellow journalism.
    The truthiness will set you free! - Stephen Colbert.

Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be very careful about this, especially libelwise.

Two things:

1. Suppose that Hague is gay, and that the driver is also. That does not in any way imply that they have had an improper relationship.

2. Drivers often double as security-guards. It might have been a prudent security-precaution for a front-bench politician to have his guard/driver with him in his hotel-room (though not sharing a bed,of course) all night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    Silly season stuff.
    The real problem here is the obsession with sexuality. If two men are friends it's obvious they are gay. How dysfunctional is that? It is this intrusiveness, this kind of innuendo that makes those who are gay want to hide their life and live in the shadows. That is the real problem. Men should be allowed to have close friendships, it should be encouraged even, without having to be subjected to this kind of yellow journalism.
    Well yes, but IF Hague is gay, he should either a) tell the press his private life is none of their business or b) admit it. I really don't think the British public is that bothered about gay politicians anymore. After all, it never held back Lord Mandelson's political career.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're all just looking for the next...

A quick Google search brings up this story in The Telegraph, The Mail and Sky...all going back the last week with pictures of Hague and Myres going back over a year.
    If there was something in this it'd be out long before now.
    "Be advised, my passport's green / No glass of ours was ever raised / To toast the Queen." Seamus Heaney 1982

"I'm a bit of a green myself" Charles Haughey 1989

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast