Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinks company day long promotion bends the law?

Default Drinks company day long promotion bends the law?

Last year in Sept. there was an agressive day long nationwide advertisement for a beer. In Dublin's city centre I saw flagrant abuse of the law. There were people openly drinking beer in the street, leaving cans and glasses lying around as well as all of the other stuff associated with binge drinking but during the day.

There was also the happy hour advertising which was pretty widespread. Pints of this beer were advertised at half price during certain hours . I've heard many establishments got around this by ticketing events at the premises or some such nonsense but this was just happy hour through the back door.

Shall we see the same carry on this year? Who does one report these gross acts that bend the law to a point of snapping and will anyone take any notice of any complaint?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Design for Life View Post
    Last year in Sept. there was an agressive day long nationwide advertisement for a beer. In Dublin's city centre I saw flagrant abuse of the law. There were people openly drinking beer in the street, leaving cans and glasses lying around as well as all of the other stuff associated with binge drinking but during the day.

There was also the happy hour advertising which was pretty widespread. Pints of this beer were advertised at half price during certain hours . I've heard many establishments got around this by ticketing events at the premises or some such nonsense but this was just happy hour through the back door.

Shall we see the same carry on this year? Who does one report these gross acts that bend the law to a point of snapping and will anyone take any notice of any complaint?
    do you not have more important things to be worrying about?
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The law on the happy hours is a farce anyway. I used to frequent an establishment that used to sell half price pints between 5 and 7 on a Friday evening. What the premises did then to counteract that was to open as normal on a Friday at 12:30 at the cheap price and just increased the prices after 7. The effect was even more people and even drunker people earlier in the day.

Apparently not.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The latest research shows heavy drinkers outliving non-drinkers. I quit ten years ago but it looks like I may have been mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    The law on the happy hours is a farce anyway. I used to frequent an establishment that used to sell half price pints between 5 and 7 on a Friday evening. What the premises did then to counteract that was to open as normal on a Friday at 12:30 at the cheap price and just increased the prices after 7. The effect was even more people and even drunker people earlier in the day.

Yeah many bars will do that. Have their happy hour up until a certain point, say 8PM and then raise the prices after that. Doesn't matter what time it opens.

Does a simple report to a Garda station about this suffice? It's very doubtful anything would be done however. Last year was a bloody disgrace. And I do like many drinks and indeed even cheap drinks but the state of the place last year after it....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's the morons who buy into this day that concern me the most

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To martha!!!!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cogol View Post
    To martha!!!!!