Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Work For Dole Scheme Announced

Politics.ie Member RightCentreLeft's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Work For Dole Scheme Announced

RTÉ News: 'Work for dole' scheme announced

Details a bit sketchy. Is it a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by RightCentreLeft View Post

Depends on the implementation. If it's not immediate (i.e. people have a decent chance to look around for a job that suits them before they're put on it), if there's actual thought to matching them to positions that could bring them back into proper employment, if there's actual support for the organisations that take them on, and mentoring/training for them to make the transition to paid work, and if it's not displacing people in paid employment, I feel schemes like this can have a benefit, particularly now that there's a greater proportion of our unemployed who are fairly employable, or would be if there were jobs around.

'Course, implemented poorly it will waste money, undermine important services, a result in job losses by those being displaced....

Politics.ie Member An Gilladaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RightCentreLeft View Post

Probably will be run by FF senators who will get lots of expenses

Politics.ie Member asknoquestions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

getting unemployed and underemployed people to do work that should be done by people on a proper wage - Cael should like it. Eventually, we should be closer to East Berlin than Boston, as everybody will have a "job" but nobody will have to do any work.

Politics.ie Member RightCentreLeft's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    Depends on the implementation. If it's not immediate (i.e. people have a decent chance to look around for a job that suits them before they're put on it), if there's actual thought to matching them to positions that could bring them back into proper employment, if there's actual support for the organisations that take them on, and mentoring/training for them to make the transition to paid work, and if it's not displacing people in paid employment, I feel schemes like this can have a benefit, particularly now that there's a greater proportion of our unemployed who are fairly employable, or would be if there were jobs around.

'Course, implemented poorly it will waste money, undermine important services, a result in job losses by those being displaced....
    The main problem I have with it - as someone who is fairly recently unemployed - is that if -Like the WPP Scheme- there is no travel/transport allowance then it could result in a cut of 10-15% off my Jobseekers payment. Other than that I would be willing to do the 19.5 hours per week.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

properly implemented it is a good idea

What if the people on these schemes organise?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TODevastated View Post
    properly implemented it is a good idea
    Remember now this is a state run by an incompetent and corrupt kleptocracy. Why should we have any confidence that it will be 'properly implemented'. They will probably end up tending the gardens of prominent FFers.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another half arsed persian bizzare attempt at sorting out a problem and making a complete balls of it.

How many people will this scheme take off state dependency??? Answer: none!

So therefore it doesn't deal to any extent whatsoever which is our biggest problem at the moment, unemployment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An extra 72 cents per hour worked, not taking into account transport costs, who said the unemployed aren't second class citizens in this country!

If the government bothered to create jobs, if the government bothered to make sure FÁS do what it is supposed to do and provide support to the unemployed, if the government bothered to create proper re-training schemes and courses for all then this initiative may have some purpose for the unemployed who refuse help but otherwise this is a dangerous slave labour progamme that is going to have disasterous consequences for the unemployed and society on the whole, you are punishing people for being unemployed.
    FF / FG / LAB - The Axis of Evil

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast