Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: 3516 Hip Replacements being recalled.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member On_The_Far_Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belfast / Moscow
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 3516 Hip Replacements being recalled.

    On RTE this eveing 3516 Hip Replacement joints being realled in Ireland.

    RTÉ News: 3,516 Irish had recalled hip device fitted

    Typical this breaks on a friday evening when most Ortheapeadic Teams are off for weekend!!!

    Ive had two of these hip replacements and one knee replacment and am due to have another knee knee put in next month.

    This is bound to put massive pressure on HSE and medical teams as revision surgery is more costly and with higher risks. Not to mention recovery time, further pain and additional rehabilitation.

    DePuy.com | ASR? Hip System Recall Guide

    I have to say my hips are great, I really dont want them recalled

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If you had a "full" hip replacement you should be OK. If you had a "resurfacing"..you "might" be in trouble.


    Issue isn't really faulty devices...this happens....shouldn't but it does.
    However...it does appear that Ireland was the last in the loop to discover the problem....

    IMB defends checking of faulty hip product

    QUOTE.....The UK authorities had already organised a patient follow-up for the same type of metal on-metal hip replacement devices nearly six months ago, it has emerged....END QUOTE....
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

    ALBERT EINSTEIN

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member On_The_Far_Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belfast / Moscow
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yeah I had two total hip replacements.

    Im really feeling for anyone who will have to go through these operations, even if it is just resurfacing. Recover is hard, rehabilitation is hard and this is going to be a massive burden on patients, their families, doctors, physiotherapists, OTs, HSE homehelp etc at a time when for the want of another phrase "the cupboard is bare"

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You should be Ok so....TG!

    Having to go through a revision is not easy though..and you spend longer in hospital too..

    Doesn't explain the delay in the IMB/HSE/DOHC recognising the problem though as quoted in the article...

    But sure why is that a surprise??
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

    ALBERT EINSTEIN

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    "Ireland, unlike many other countries including the UK, does not have an "early warning" tracking system that can regularly monitor the performance of replacement joints in the hospital service."

    This reminds of a programme I saw. When stainless steel was first used it was built to stand pressure of X pounds and people kept coming back to have them replaced. It turned out that the joint had more pressure than whatever X pounds was.

    Why does Ireland not have an early warning tracking system?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member On_The_Far_Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belfast / Moscow
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yeah its crazy we dont have early warning system.

    Its gonna be hard for so many people though. I was 30/31 when Id my ops, 35 when knee was done. But in cappagh so many patients are lederly, and I mean 80's / 90's and it could potentially kill someone having to go through bi-lateral operations and recovery.

    Im gobsmacked by the scale of it.

    I bet my next knee op will be postponed in sept/oct because so many revisions wil have to be done more morphine please :P

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManfredJudge View Post
    "Ireland, unlike many other countries including the UK, does not have an "early warning" tracking system that can regularly monitor the performance of replacement joints in the hospital service."

    This reminds of a programme I saw. When stainless steel was first used it was built to stand pressure of X pounds and people kept coming back to have them replaced. It turned out that the joint had more pressure than whatever X pounds was.

    Why does Ireland not have an early warning tracking system?
    Ain't that the question?

    One would have hoped we might have learned after the Hep C et al...that we might be better off putting in adequate monitoring.

    We have had numerous reports..of course...the last being "Building a Culture of patient Safety"...published in 2008 or the Madden report as it was known.
    The establishment of HIQA was one result....BUT.........

    An awful lot was not implemented.......!

    There was a commission set up though...(in 2008)...so thats good!!.....

    Patient safety - radical reforms proposed



    Opps thats not so good!!!...thats what was in her original report!!!....(in 2008...????)


    SIGH!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

    ALBERT EINSTEIN

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Ah sure if we ignore it, it'll go away, wont it? HSE spokesman.
    That is an HSE matter. There is nothing I or my department can do! Mary Harney spits out usual excuse.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by On_The_Far_Right View Post
    Ive had two of these hip replacements and one knee replacment and am due to have another knee knee put in next month.
    Jaysus, if you were a horse you would have been shot a long time ago.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member powderfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    If you had a "full" hip replacement you should be OK. If you had a "resurfacing"..you "might" be in trouble.


    Issue isn't really faulty devices...this happens....shouldn't but it does.
    However...it does appear that Ireland was the last in the loop to discover the problem....

    IMB defends checking of faulty hip product

    QUOTE.....The UK authorities had already organised a patient follow-up for the same type of metal on-metal hip replacement devices nearly six months ago, it has emerged....END QUOTE....
    It could become an issue going forward Spidermom.

    The Associated Press: CEO: J&J let down public, must work to build trust


    This week was particularly bad for the world's biggest health-products maker. J&J received a warning from the Food and Drug Administration about illegal marketing of some hip and knee implants and two more recalls: one involving two other hip implant products and one involving contact lenses sold in Asia and Europe that stung some users' eyes.
    Asked if he can assure consumers there won't be any more recalls, Weldon said, "I don't think you can ever say 'never' to anything."
    "We're doing everything we can anyplace in Johnson & Johnson to make sure this never happens again," he added.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •