Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belfast's blueprint for Irish language revival

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Belfast's blueprint for Irish language revival

I've just returned from ashore visit to Belfast where I heard Irish being spoken freely in many different locations: by the manager of the Falls Road Sainsburys, by an attendant at the Ulster Museum, which seems to have an attitude refurbishment, by a tour guide on an opentop tour of Belfast and by the many and varied visitors to Culturlann McAdam O Fiaich. There's no grants for speaking Irish in the North as there is in the Gaeltachtai of the South.
    Contrast that attitude of 'let's get it done" with the depressing dependency evident ina letter in today's Irish Times regarding the impact of possible cuts on the speaking of Irish in the Gaeltachtai. I'm not for cuts generally but I would be in favour of money paid for Gaeltacht grants being more widely available and being focused on community benefit rather than on individual speakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trolls arriving in three, two, one....
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiamORaiste View Post
    I've just returned from ashore visit to Belfast where I heard Irish being spoken freely in many different locations: by the manager of the Falls Road Sainsburys, by an attendant at the Ulster Museum, which seems to have an attitude refurbishment, by a tour guide on an opentop tour of Belfast and by the many and varied visitors to Culturlann McAdam O Fiaich. There's no grants for speaking Irish in the North as there is in the Gaeltachtai of the South.
    Contrast that attitude of 'let's get it done" with the depressing dependency evident ina letter in today's Irish Times regarding the impact of possible cuts on the speaking of Irish in the Gaeltachtai. I'm not for cuts generally but I would be in favour of money paid for Gaeltacht grants being more widely available and being focused on community benefit rather than on individual speakers.
    Glad you enjoyed your time here. Were you on an organised tour on the bus, in the museum etc? Or did you just happen to bump into Irish speakers?
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the difference (and maith sibh to those in Belfast) is that people in the North have to choose Gaeilge, it means something to them, the have an affinity with it and are proud to use the language they have chosen.

In the Republic everyone is force fed the language and generally resist it, being ashamed to be heard using it in public. It's sad.

Maybe if we made it optional at 2nd level we'd get a smaller number of learners but a greater number of speakers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FearDíomhaoinUasal View Post
    In the Republic everyone is force fed the language and generally resist it, being ashamed to be heard using it in public. It's sad.

Maybe if we made it optional at 2nd level we'd get a smaller number of learners but a greater number of speakers?
    Everyone is force fed English and Maths too.
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They didn't mention anything about grants to individual speakers though in the letter did they???

Quote Originally Posted by FearDíomhaoinUasal View Post
    This is going to change big time. From next month on 40% of of the Irish Leaving Cert exam will be going on speaking the language.

People are not ashamed to speak it. Some people would now and then be embarrassed given how many people actually speak it.

We also need more second level gaelscoileanna or gaelcholáistí. There are campaigns for two more in Dublin at the moment and I know for one in Mullingar.

40% going on speaking the language for the Leaving Cert is covering only one albeit large aspect of what is needed. We can't forsake the others aspects or the future of the language and Irish speakers will suffer and increasingly so.
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    40% going on speaking the language for the Leaving Cert is covering only one albeit large aspect of what is needed. We can't forsake the others aspects or the future of the language and Irish speakers will suffer and increasingly so.
    How much was it before?
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
    Trolls arriving in three, two, one....

Sorry I'm late - was delayed elsewhere.

Nothing much to say really - so some dude is happy because he overheard some saddoes ag caint as gaeilge. Big deal yee-haw! Pass the sparkling vino.

I heard a guy singing "Nessun Dorma" on the DART home last night, but I didn't consider it worthy of opening a thread in the "Current Affairs" forum to discuss the growing number of Italian opera singers living in Portmarnock.
    Last edited by Mushroom; 28th August 2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish people speaking Irish. It's an outrage!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where is the blueprint there??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast