Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stardust, rational discussion please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Stardust, rational discussion please

The 30th anniversary of the Stardust disaster is not too far away so can we have a rational and dispassionate analysis of the disaster before the emotions run high again in the coming months. First of all let me say I am glad that the review of the evidence did overturn the original flawed conclusion that the fire was "probable arson". However I also believe the community around the nightclub was wrong to interpret the original report as a slur on the patrons and the community at large.

Lets examine the facts objectively:
    1. The fire was started (a) accidentally; (b) by deliberate action or (c) by deliberate inaction.
    2. The fire was started by (a) a patron; (b) a trespasser; (c) someone working on the premises or (d) a mechanical/electrical device.

From my reading of the report question 1 cannot be conclusively answeared and neither can question 2. As such it is my belief that we will never know the truth unless someone can come forward as a witness to the initiation of the fire (if such a witness exists which is a big if). As such i would oppose any new inquiry as the possibility of such a witness being found is overwhelmingly unlikely.
    I also believe it is too easy to blame the nightclub owners as doing this seems to provide answears and some sort of closure and finality to the tragic events in the abscence of any other clear explanation of events.
    Anyone who frequented the nightclub scene in those days could tell you a host of stories of shambolic health and safety especially in Dublin so a "Stardust" was bound to happen somewhere sooner or later. Also remember members of the owners family worked on the premises.

RT… News: 'No evidence' of arson in Stardust fire
    (Link includes a link to a full pdf copy of the report)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rationally speaking ,the Butterly bros. Called in the favours owed to them by the Haughey Clan /Fianna fail to get them off the hook for breakin the law by locking fire exits to a night club and thus massively contributing to the deaths of those locked in, !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How the butterlys sleep at night after getting their blood money I'll never know. If they had any respect or empathy for the families of the dead and the scarred survivors of that night, they would have slunk off into obscurity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    How the butterlys sleep at night after getting their blood money I'll never know. If they had any respect or empathy for the families of the dead and the scarred survivors of that night, they would have slunk off into obscurity.
    Isn't that what happened, hardly anybody under the age of 30 will have heard of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I remember the horror of watching it on the news - RIP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZqW-ya8yms]YouTube - Christy Moore - They Never Came Home[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do feel the families are going to have to be realistic. Multiple factors fed into that tragedy and blame lies in many quarters not just in the owner. But in situations like this its easier to have a visible fallguy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    I do feel the families are going to have to be realistic. Multiple factors fed into that tragedy and blame lies in many quarters not just in the owner. But in situations like this its easier to have a visible fallguy.
    Possibly true, but everything in this country stinks. The Stardust stinks too.

Our lords and masters ask us to trust them and their judgments.

They must be fncking joking, I'd rather trust Widgery.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    What are the multiple factors that you feel fed into this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=SilverSpurs;2951469]I do feel the families are going to have to be realistic. Multiple factors fed into that tragedy and blame lies in many quarters not just in the owner. But in situations like this its easier to have a visible fallguy.[/]

What's your interest in the topic? Are you connected with any interested party to the tragic events?

I've no connection other than remembering the news at the time. I was a little young to fully realise the horror of it until I saw how shook the adults around me were by it. I wouldn't expect an 'irrational' discussion of it at this stage and am curious why your thread title seems to imply that you would expect 'irrational' responses. Have you been involved in such discussions before?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast