Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 86 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Sands - Hero or villan

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bobby Sands - Hero or villan

Was watching Reeling in the Years last night and the year was 1981 and there was an interesting segment on Bobby Sands. I admit its one area of Irish/British history that I was not very well up on but have done quite a bit of reading since and would like to know whether you think Bobby Sands was a true martyr in the sense that his death galvinised Republicanism and enabled more of the world to see the oppression Catholics suffered at the time or was he a complete scumbag in that his death and martyrdom was used by the IRA as a stick to beat the British and carry out a campaign of violence? Interesting quote taken from the Chiacgo Tribune that I came across that was published just after his death...

"Mahatma Gandhi used the hunger strike to move his countrymen to abstain from fratricide. Bobby Sands' deliberate slow suicide is intended to precipitate civil war"
    "Bobby Sands and Mahatma Gandhi"
    Chicago Tribune, 28 April 1981, 1-15

1981 Hunger Strikes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally when the Troubles started the Brits did give political status to the Republican POWs...then the descision was taken to try and break the resistance to occupation in the prisons...Suddenly the screws stopped calling people by their names and only refered to them by number, their clothes were taken away and they were forced to wear the uniform of common criminals....Then the beatings and the torture started....Bobby Sands laid down his life for his comrades in the cages and no greater love can a man have than to lay down his life for his friends.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98EcxrOr6w]YouTube - Ninety Miles to Dublin - Christy Moore[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Was watching Reeling in the Years last night and the year was 1981 and there was an interesting segment on Bobby Sands. I admit its one area of Irish/British history that I was not very well up on but have done quite a bit of reading since and would like to know whether you think Bobby Sands was a true martyr in the sense that his death galvinised Republicanism and enabled more of the world to see the oppression Catholics suffered at the time or was he a complete scumbag in that his death and martyrdom was used by the IRA as a stick to beat the British and carry out a campaign of violence? Interesting quote taken from the Chiacgo Tribune that I came across that was published just after his death...

1981 Hunger Strikes
    May I suggest rather than take a straw poll of opinion from this forum to decide your feelings on the issue you do further research yourself...I guarantee it will prove rewarding,regardless of the opinion you form, at least it will be your own...to help you along the way may I suggest Writings from Prision by Bobby himself form part of that research...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1981 Hunger Strikes
    So because Bobby Sands death and that of the other hunger striker were used by the Provo's this makes him a scumbag?

So was Thomas Ashe a scumbag?

Any man prepared to sacrifice his own life for his beliefs deserves respect imo.

Que the resident Unionist troll and his jokes about slimmer of the year.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjoz View Post
    May I suggest rather than take a straw poll of opinion from this forum to decide your feelings on the issue you do further research yourself...I guarantee it will prove rewarding,regardless of the opinion you form, at least it will be your own...to help you along the way may I suggest Writings from Prision by Bobby himself form part of that research...
    I would be open to reading his writings and indeed any links you can recommend are welcome. Im always open to new ideas and quotes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1981 Hunger Strikes
    It was the Brits who in letting him die gave the stick as you put it to the Republican movement to beat them with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be open to reading his writings and indeed any links you can recommend are welcome. Im always open to new ideas and quotes
    A good place to start; http://www.bobbysandstrust.com/
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    So because Bobby Sands death and that of the other hunger striker were used by the Provo's this makes him a scumbag?

So was Thomas Ashe a scumbag?

Any man prepared to sacrifice his own life for his beliefs deserves respect imo.

Que the resident Unionist troll and his jokes about slimmer of the year.

You tell me, thats why I posted it in the form of a question, I used numerous terms to describe the man..what do you feel about him, what did he mean to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    A good place to start; Bobby Sands Trust
    Thanks for the link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    It was the Brits who in letting him die gave the stick as you put it to the Republican movement to beat them with.
    Now, now SS we ALL know who was responsible for Bobby's death, well if not Bobbys def most of the other ten.

Page 1 of 86 123451151 ... LastLast