Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan incumbent considers 3rd party run

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alaskan incumbent considers 3rd party run

Senator Lisa Murkowski is trailing Sarah Palin backed (and chuck Norris look-a-like) Tea Party Conservative Joe Miller in the Republican Primary, in what looks like the shock result of a round of primaries that has been good to incumbents.

Joe Miller beating Lisa Murkowski in shock Alaska election result | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

Joe Miller Leads Lisa Murkowski: Alaska GOP Primary Still Too Close To Call : The Two-Way : NPR

washingtonpost.com

However, Murkowski is considering, according to Slate, a third-party run, if she loses. Considering Miller's anti-pork stance in the state that brought us the Bridge to nowhere, and Miller's more extreme right views, it'd be hard to see him beating Murkowski again in a state election.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Perhaps the big winner in all of this is Palin, who's endorsements seem to have been the kiss of death in a number of recent primaries (six, I believe):

Regardless of who prevails, the Republican primary is a sign of Palin's clout in her home state after the former governor and vice presidential candidate had suffered a string of loses recently in endorsing other candidates nationally.
    Last edited by YoungLiberal; 26th August 2010 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungLiberal View Post
    Senator Lisa Murkowski is trailing Sarah Palin backed (and chuck Norris look-a-like) Tea Party Conservative Joe Miller in the Republican Primary, in what looks like the shock result of a round of primaries that has been good to incumbents.

Joe Miller beating Lisa Murkowski in shock Alaska election result | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

Joe Miller Leads Lisa Murkowski: Alaska GOP Primary Still Too Close To Call : The Two-Way : NPR

washingtonpost.com

However, Murkowski is considering, according to Slate, a third-party run, if she loses. Considering Miller's anti-pork stance in the state that brought us the Bridge to nowhere, and Miller's more extreme right views, it'd be hard to see him beating Murkowski again in a state election.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Perhaps the big winner in all of this is Palin, who's endorsements seem to have been the kiss of death in a number of recent primaries (six, I believe):
    I don't agree that her endorsement has been the kiss of death for candidates. In many cases she endorsed little known candidates that had little chance of winning. Palins endorsement helped those candidates perform better (while still not winning) than they might have without her endorsement while also providing increased opportunities for financing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    I don't agree that her endorsement has been the kiss of death for candidates. In many cases she endorsed little known candidates that had little chance of winning. Palins endorsement helped those candidates perform better (while still not winning) than they might have without her endorsement while also providing increased opportunities for financing.
    I don't think her endorsements were either, but they were definitely beginning to be perceived as such (Well, from what I read on the interwebs anyway).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Murkowski has just conceded to Joe Miller, the teaparty candidate backed by Sarah Palin.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Murkowski has just conceded to Joe Miller, the teaparty candidate backed by Sarah Palin.
    Seems as if she's still considering a third party run.

Alaska Senator May Stay in Race - WSJ.com

Murkowski: No decision has been made on write-in option: 2010 Election | adn.com

With other Republicans warning her not to:

John Cornyn Warns Lisa Murkowski She Could Lose Leadership Role If She Stays In Senate Race

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What does the Tuam Herald have to say about this?
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Its possible as I understand it she has only a few days left to decide. It looks like a long shot write in candidacy. Of course she may end up splitting the Republican vote and handing the seat to the Democrat. Not even a pyrrhic victory.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its possible as I understand it she has only a few days left to decide. It looks like a long shot write in candidacy. Of course she may end up splitting the Republican vote and handing the seat to the Democrat. Not even a pyrrhic victory.
    I believe she's got until 5 days before the election itself to declare, in theory. Although, it does seem she'll need to declare soon to raise the wonga needed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Lisa cant spell her own name.

What an embarrasing moment!

Lisa Murkowski recently released a campaign video to instruct people on how to go about voting for her as a write-in candidate.

Basically you have to fill the oval that says "other" and then spell her name next to it in the ballot.

The problem is that her last name tends to be misspelled so the video goes to some length to show how it is properly spelled...

And at the bottom of the screen Lisa's website is provided... with her last name spelled incorrectly.

Ha, ha, ha ,ha.... ahh. This is so painful! since this is just a minor spelling error I feel bad for her. But man! the timing just makes it so comical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrejsv View Post
    What an embarrasing moment!

Lisa Murkowski recently released a campaign video to instruct people on how to go about voting for her as a write-in candidate.

Basically you have to fill the oval that says "other" and then spell her name next to it in the ballot.

The problem is that her last name tends to be misspelled so the video goes to some length to show how it is properly spelled...

And at the bottom of the screen Lisa's website is provided... with her last name spelled incorrectly.

Ha, ha, ha ,ha.... ahh. This is so painful! since this is just a minor spelling error I feel bad for her. But man! the timing just makes it so comical.

And, inevitably, we get: "ALASKA, let's make LISA MURKWSKI history!" at that url:

Home Page

You pay for these kind of mistakes at the speed of light on the internet.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast