Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tullamore businessman sentenced to jail flees country.

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tullamore businessman sentenced to jail flees country.

What gives here? Last Monday Justice Mary Laffoy ordered that Donal Rigney be jailed in Mountjoy for contempt of court:

Ordering his committal to Mountjoy Prison for contempt of court Ms. Justice Mary Laffoy said it was impossible to believe anything Donal Rigney said.

The businessman made personal guarantees on an unpaid loan of €1.9 million and has so far failed to comply with a court order last May directing him to hand over his assets in Dubai comprising of 17 construction machines.

Rigney admits lying about his assets in court on a previous occasion but now says that only 4 of the machines are in his control as the others were unlawfully taken and are now the subject of criminal proceedings.

Lombard [the financial institution that is owed the money] suspects the machines are in fact being hired out to facilitate a lucrative building contract in Oman. The businessman will have to stay in jail until he hands over the assets to their rightful owner.
    Source: Newstalk

But today it transpires, much to the High Court's suprise, that Rigney hasn't been jailed.

The High Court is demanding an explanation as to why a Co Offaly businessman has not been jailed for breaching a court order.

Donal Rigney who runs a Tool and Plant Hire business in Tullamore, was to be committed to Mountjoy prison last Monday after defaulting on a 1.9 million euro debt to financial institution Lombard Ireland Ltd.

Mr. Rigney was supposed to have been jailed last Monday for defying a court order in May directing him to hand over his assets in Dubai to creditor Lombard Ireland.

When it emerged in the course of the hearing that Donal Rigney is still a free man, Ms Justice Maureen Clarke called it a flagrant disregard of her colleague's order – she's asked both parties to give her an explanation as to why he's not in prison
    Source: Midlands Radio (also featured on Newstalk - no link yet)

Anyone got the low-down on this Rigney guy? How connected is he? Is he another one of those people who thinks he's above the law? Any idea why he wasn't jailed as instructed?
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lombard aren't the only ones apparently:

Today another of Rigney's creditors National Irish Asset Finance Ltd has come to court seeking an order directing him to deliver up 25 large vehicles over unpaid hire-purchase leases valued at over €500,000.
    Examiner: Court row over failure to jail Offaly businessman

The Herald also had some further details yesterday:

The judge, who held that Mr Rigney had misled the court, rejected his claim that he was not in a position to return the machinery to finance providers Lombard Ireland. [...]

Yesterday, Gemma Carroll, for Lombard, said her client had serious issues about Mr Rigney's credibility. They had received several versions of events from Mr Rigney but did not know what to believe. [...]

Counsel said Mr Rigney was now claiming that the machinery was no longer in his control and was registered to other parties without his consent.
    If anything this case shows just how far some people are prepared to go in order to protect their assets, even when those assets haven't even been paid for, including, as reported by Newstalk, "lying in court". Good luck NAMA.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just because it is reported that someone has been jailed dosen't make it true.
    I remember a case a few years back where a man up here was sentenced to 16 months for fraud .It was on the 9 o'clock news it was a bit of a surprise when I entered the local pub at 10 o'clock to see the person who was supposed to be in jail drinking at the bar. Smoke and mirrors ,thats what a lot of this stuff is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Just because it is reported that someone has been jailed dosen't make it true.
    I remember a case a few years back where a man up here was sentenced to 16 months for fraud .It was on the 9 o'clock news it was a bit of a surprise when I entered the local pub at 10 o'clock to see the person who was supposed to be in jail drinking at the bar. Smoke and mirrors ,thats what a lot of this stuff is
    Did it ever transpire why he wasn't jailed Charley? I know there are frequent cases of people being driven to jail only to be 'released' immediately because of lack of space. However in Rigney's case, were this the simple explanation, I'm fairly sure the High Court would have been made aware of it before the action today by National Irish Asset Finance, and Justice Maureen Clarke wouldn't have called it a "flagrant disregard" and ordered an explanation. I could be wrong and there may be a simple explanation but there's still no harm in highlighting it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    Did it ever transpire why he wasn't jailed Charley? I know there are frequent cases of people being driven to jail only to be 'released' immediately because of lack of space. However in Rigney's case, were this the simple explanation, I'm fairly sure the High Court would have been made aware of it before the action today by National Irish Asset Finance, and Justice Maureen Clarke wouldn't have called it a "flagrant disregard" and ordered an explanation. I could be wrong and there may be a simple explanation but there's still no harm in highlighting it.
    A case of who you know,nuff said

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any idea of the other 2 directors of his company?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a photo of him at the High Court on Monday, from the Irish Times:

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I sincerely hope not another version of Philip Sheedy - Bertie Ahern - Drumcondra Mafia - John O'Donoghue - Joe Burke - Judge Hugh O'Flaherty - Michael Quinlan - Judge Cyril Kelly - Charlie Mc Creevy - European Investment Bank: Philip Sheedy Affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Appalling situation where, once FF is in government, the actions and the independence of even the judiciary has to be questioned.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This whole case stinks, a bit like the one last week where Gerard Killaly is downtown Tullamore advising BoI about certain properties, whereas the lease-holders are looking for the owner and as far as I know it all must be dealt with by the Examiner as Killaly and his missus are bankrupts.

How this guy, Rigney, got the equipment out of the jurisdiction whilst owning monies on them is a stroke only known to him, the finance companies seem to be running after a bolting horse.

It does appear he should be in the clink but he is sidestepping the lot of them so far, impossible to do all on his own.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This guy reckons himself above the law. He's reported by former employees to owe large sums to construction workers pension funds, plus he's supposed to be up before the Labour Court soon for falling foul of employment law.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast