Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesco to open in Temple Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tesco to open in Temple Bar

Apparently plans are afoot to open a Tesco store in Temple Bar where the ESB offices are.
    I wonder will Aldi or the like move into the EBS Westmorland st and decimate the rents in Grafton St.
    About time if you ask me.
    Last edited by richie268; 29th August 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How would Aldi (a discount grocery store) moving into Westmoreland Street decimate the rents on Grafton Street - where the stores are department stores, mobile phone outlets and clothing, footwear and jewellery shops, newsagents and fastfood joints?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aldi can sell anything it wants anyway it wants .
    I bought a computer a laptop (amd processors)( better than the other in my opinion ) a television and among other things a mobile phone from Aldi no problems at all .
    I am sure they can manage to source a few pairs of shoes some lippy newspapers and make a few burgers However I can not see them selling gold as buying it is their business.
    TRUST ME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richie268 View Post
    Aldi can sell anything it wants anyway it wants .
    I bought a computer a laptop (amd processors)( better than the other in my opinion ) a television and among other things a mobile phone from Aldi no problems at all .
    I am sure they can manage to source a few pairs of shoes some lippy newspapers and make a few burgers However I can not see them selling gold as buying it is their business.
    TRUST ME!
    Aldi sell one-offs on weekly specials. They will not affect Grafton Street rents in the slightest. What will drive them down is long-established businesses closing or threatening to close due to the high rents. Landlords will negotiate new rents rather than have units lie idle for too long.

Carluccios restaurant off Grafton St is a case in point. They shut for a week after a rent dispute with their landords and reopened after the rent was dopped.

And why would people shop in a city centre Aldi when most communities have two or three on their doorsteps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You make my point! quote (Landlords will negotiate new rents rather than have units lie idle for too long)
    And again! quote (Carluccios restaurant off Grafton St is a case in point. They shut for a week after a rent dispute with their landords and reopened after the rent was dopped)
    And you may not think this but people live in the city also and need shops near their door steps, quote (And why would people shop in a city centre Aldi when most communities have two or three on their doorsteps?)
    Apart from Grafton street if it does happen all spar shops and centras could find themselves in trouble!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope they invest in it and make it a half decent store. The Tesco Express in Ringsend is lousy and forget about Tesco Sandymount. Both are so limited in stock. Anytime I visit either I always leave without my full shop and have to go elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Local businesses are not to happy and plan to lodge objections.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent. the addition of cheap beer to our cultural quarter will only improve it........Oh wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Local publicans are not happy for obvious reasons.
    But the way I look at it,it was them that made it the Brit Strip and who ever thought Irish people would be buying Irish stew in a tin from a Tesco in Fleet st.
    Interesting times ahead .
    Last edited by richie268; 29th August 2010 at 01:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast