Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Virginia 5th District Congressional Race

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Virginia 5th District Congressional Race

Studying the form on this race, seems very tight indeed. Tom Perriello, the incumbent Democrat won the seat with 50.1% of the vote in '08, taking the seat from Republican Virgil Goode, by a margin of less than 800 votes. In the current anti-incumbent climate and with Democrat loses expected, one of have to think him a goner. Especially since he seems to be a bit of a prat:

Fact Check: Perriello&#39s new attack ad in 5th District race | WSLS 10

However, according to the Washington Post, his warchest is multiple times that of his challenger Rob Hurt, standing at 1.7m compared to Hurt's 215k.

Perriello also recently sought a three way television debate, as opposed to a head-to-head debate favoured by Hurt's camp (who ultimately got their way), which suggest weakness to me.

Any thoughts?

As with all politics, this race is local and having never set foot in Virginia, I'd be especially interested in what our American posters think.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The deems are also planning a ad spending spree in key districts I. The hope of keeping (not gaining) seats, I think Virginia's fifth may be one of those?

One would imagine with a warchest five times the size of the challenger that you'd have a substantial lead.
    Any recent polling?
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    The deems are also planning a ad spending spree in key districts I. The hope of keeping (not gaining) seats, I think Virginia's fifth may be one of those?

One would imagine with a warchest five times the size of the challenger that you'd have a substantial lead.
    Any recent polling?
    I can only find one anyway recent poll, which has Hurt destroying Perriello

In a telephone survey, 591 likely voters were asked who they would support if the election were held today. 58 percent said they would vote for Republican Robert Hurt, 35 percent said they supported Perriello, and four percent were behind Independent Jeffrey Clark.
    Hard to take much from one poll, to be honest. Can't see the race panning out anything like this.

News7 Survey USA poll gives Republican challenger a commanding lead in 5th District Congressional Race - wdbj7.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just an update on this, seems to be somewhat ill-tempered.

Perriello campaign reports office break-in | Daily Progress

Looks like hunt will take it-

C-Ville: This Just In

In the 5th District House race, Republican Robert Hurt led Democratice incumbent 52% to 47% with 82 percent of precincts reporting.
    Cantor, 4 other GOP candidates win House races; Scott wins in 3rd | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Periello was the only House Dem that Obama specifically campaigned for visiting the district last weekend. Didnt work though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorkHurler View Post
    Periello was the only House Dem that Obama specifically campaigned for visiting the district last weekend. Didnt work though.
    Yup, Times calling it for Hunt.

Take that, President Obama. The Republican party handed Mr. Obama one of his signature defeats of the night Tuesday when Robert Hurt, a state senator in Virginia, defeated the only Democratic House candidate for whom Mr. Obama campaigned directly. Democrat Tom Periello received presidential-level help in the last week of the campaign as Mr. Obama flew to Charlottesville to try and save the freshman lawmaker. But Mr. Periello, who had been an unabashed supporter of the president and his health care legislation, had too steep a hill to climb in a district that is heavily rural and quite conservative. The White House had apparently calculated that the polls in the race were close enough that a visit by Mr. Obama might help turn out Democrats for Mr. Periello. They hoped to tout a victory amid losses elsewhere.But that turned out not to be the case, and instead, the effort served to embarrass the president instead.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Seems Obama campaigning for you was a kiss of death! Now where did we see that before? Hmmmm... And the morons on here still tell us he's not a damp squib. Ha!
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns