Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting on Southside Bus Lane this evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Meeting on Southside Bus Lane this evening.

There is a special city council meeting at 4pm this afternoon on the issue of providing on Green route bus lane on the south side of the city.

There is considerably vocal opposition in the immediate area which in turn has caused a number of the local cllrs to oppose the Green route. Those would be cllrs who would wish to be general election candidates at some point.

It should be electric stuff.

http://www.limerickindependent.com/l...sy-rumbles-on/

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/resid...ne-128602.html
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

The worst bit on NIBYism I've seen in many a long day. This is my bus route to work everyday and impacts hundreds if not thousands of people who need to commute from the city centre to Raheen or the Cresent Shopping Centre. Any councillor who opposes this should be taken out and shot (metaphorically).
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The worst bit on NIBYism I've seen in many a long day. This is my bus route to work everyday and impacts hundreds if not thousands of people who need to commute from the city centre to Raheen or the Cresent Shopping Centre. Any councillor who opposes this should be taken out and shot (metaphorically).
    Just goes to show that some residents groups in Limerick are more equal than others in terms of the pressure that they can bring to bear on City Councillors.

"Mayor Maria Byrne (FG), whose main political base takes in Ballinacurra and O’Connell Avenue, is backinglocals and has tabled a notice ofmotion calling for a "more appropriate route" which will be voted on attoday’s special council meeting. "

So, she wants an alternative other than a straight out route along the wide main road. LOL

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/resid...ne-128602.html

Anybody for city centre to Raheen (where Limerick county council already have the bus lanes in place to meet up with the ones from the city) via croom?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any ideas on alternatives routes, and why?

- The O'Connell street/avenue road is sufficently wide and the most direct route (1.2km from the junction of O'Connell/Mallow to Punch's cross), so what is the problem with having a bus lane?
    - The only reasonable alternative, to go up by the People's park, and turn right to go via Prospect is longer (1.6km) and if memory serves will have a bottleneck towards the Punch's cross end. A slight advantage in passing by Colbert Station, perhaps...

So, overall I'd agree with the previous poster that this is pure Nimbyism...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Meeting on Southside Bus Lane this evening."

Be careful where you stand, lads. Those buses can bruise if they catch you with the wing mirror.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well most residents in the area have the option of on-street parking, which is gone if this goes ahead. I live there, and accept that some of the changes would make the road more dangerous. I would like a better bus service too, but I would prefer things as they stand.

Of course it's pure NIMBYism, but so what? Why should residents stand by and give up a the privilege of on-street parking, when many buses never arrive when I'm waiting for them?

Quote Originally Posted by just_society3 View Post

Of course it's pure NIMBYism, but so what? Why should residents stand by and give up a the privilege of on-street parking, when many buses never arrive when I'm waiting for them?
    At least you have the honesty to admit that this is unadulterated NIBYism, which is more than some of the so called public representatives who I doubt have used a bus in the last year.

The reason why the buses are late is that there are two huge bottlenecks, one where the existing bus lane ends (at Crescent Shopping Centre) and one at Punches Cross. This creates a log jam that means you end up waiting for a bus for half an hour and three of them arriving at the same time.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Any ideas on alternatives routes, and why?

- The O'Connell street/avenue road is sufficently wide and the most direct route (1.2km from the junction of O'Connell/Mallow to Punch's cross), so what is the problem with having a bus lane?
    - The only reasonable alternative, to go up by the People's park, and turn right to go via Prospect is longer (1.6km) and if memory serves will have a bottleneck towards the Punch's cross end. A slight advantage in passing by Colbert Station, perhaps...

So, overall I'd agree with the previous poster that this is pure Nimbyism...
    The whole thing got basically punted to the next council meeting as they got to 7pm and didn't vote to extend meaning that under standing orders the meeting was by default adjourned, with the motion not voted on.

I suspect there might be efforts over the next few weeks to get the city staff on board with proceeding with the bus lane on Hyde rd and with making contact with Bus Eireann about changing the current mix of routes so that more go down Hyde rd than down O'Connell Ave. The fact appears to be that people on Hyde rd actually want a bus service while those on O'Connell Ave view it as a nuisance. So I say make use of that fact. Change the priortisation of the lights at the Lild Junction to make Childer's road the main route, have the buses go down there and left area from Punches Cross into town without any buses at all.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any idea which councillors voted/spoke for/against the bus lanes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHickey View Post
    Any idea which councillors voted/spoke for/against the bus lanes?
    They didn't vote but almost all of them spoke.

Against the bus lanes (in favour of the Mayor's motion)

Joe Leddin
    Tom Shortt

Jim Long
    Pat Kennedy
    Diarmuid Scully
    Denis McCarthy
    Cormac Hurley
    Maria Byrne

Against the motion (basically in favour of the proposed Green Lane)

Maurice Quinlavin
    John Gilligan
    Ginger McLoughlin
    Kevin Kiely

Kieran O'Hanlon was absent
    Kathleen Leddin didn't speak
    Orla McLoughlin didn't really publicly take a side, but she proposed again that they adjourn.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast