Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FF & FG: Is a coalition possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF & FG: Is a coalition possible?

The Irish Daily Mail on Sunday is reporting that talks have been held between a FF TD allied to Brian Lenihan and some FG TD's who attempted to depose Enda Kenny earlier this year. The talks centred on the possible formation of a FG/FF coalition after the next GE with the aim of keeping Labour out of power.

The article speculates that the next GE could result in the three main parties returning to Dáil Eireann with 40 odd seats each.

Such a coalition would result in the creation of a true left/right divide in Irish politics for the first time - if FG can house-train FF.

So, what do you all think?

Is a FG/FF coalition possible?

Would FG supporters perfer a chastened FF party as partners in government or a confident and ambitious Labour Party in thrall to their new found support in the public sector unions?

Can Enda afford to rule out coalition with FF ahead of the GE or should he keep his options open?

Apologies - I can't find a link to the article.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when it comes down to mercs, perks and jobs for the boys.....everything is possible.......altho a ff/lab govmt is most likely by next year...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drjimryan2 View Post
    when it comes down to mercs, perks and jobs for the boys.....everything is possible.......altho a ff/lab govmt is most likely by next year...
    Christ I hope not (FF being in govt I mean). I've think they've done enough now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its poss but unlikely. It would only be poss in my opinion if FG was alot smaller in size and its decline since the 97' election had not been reversed. We have never had the Grand coalition governments like Germany has had with the CD and SDP parties.

Duth Ealla

Silly season article imho ldf.

FF and FG will in the current forms will never enter coalition. If, and ff is now the likeliest candidate, one of them undergoes a cataclysmic contraction to below Labour's tally and were to remain there mired for a decade such that the mindset of that party changed from natural govt. to coalition partner then it could, possibly, happen.

There is a large element of pipe dream in the idea in my opinion.

Those FGers who reportedly spoke with FF are the eejits who launched a coup when FF was due a drubbing in leinster house. The same eejits who were too lazy to make phone calls and canvass cause they thought they were entitled to power.

The FFers on the other side are probably only playing them for fools (they have seen them in action) and maybe FF likes the idea of talking about a national govt. It would help get FF off the hook.

Chances of a FF-FG coalition in the next 10 years are minimal. The left cannot regard it as an element for consideration.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If in the next general election labour get 35% and SF get 14%. I could see a FF/FG coalition to prevent a left wing government

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    If in the next general election labour get 35% and SF get 14%. I could see a FF/FG coalition to prevent a left wing government

Something along those lines is posible I think. I can't see SF at 14% (particularly if LP have hoovered up 35%) but if LP were around 32% and FG had a poor election coming second to them in seats but ahead of FF, they'd be reluctant to be the junior party in a coalition (to put it mildly) and many of them would prefer to be in govt with FF if they had Taoiseach (and might be happy enough to keep FF leader Brian Lenihen at Finance).

They would of course need an excuse, but if LP, SF and the Greens had say 45% of the vote between them, and with Indos were around the 83 seat mark, it's conceivable the 'red menace' would be used by Independent Newspapers to prod them into doing what a lot of them would like to do anyway.

Would of course require LP/SF support holding at the best current polling levels, of course.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would just delay Gilmore becoming taoiseach by a couple of years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duth Ealla View Post
    Silly season article imho ldf.

FF and FG will in the current forms will never enter coalition. If, and ff is now the likeliest candidate, one of them undergoes a cataclysmic contraction to below Labour's tally and were to remain there mired for a decade such that the mindset of that party changed from natural govt. to coalition partner then it could, possibly, happen.

There is a large element of pipe dream in the idea in my opinion.

Those FGers who reportedly spoke with FF are the eejits who launched a coup when FF was due a drubbing in leinster house. The same eejits who were too lazy to make phone calls and canvass cause they thought they were entitled to power.

The FFers on the other side are probably only playing them for fools (they have seen them in action) and maybe FF likes the idea of talking about a national govt. It would help get FF off the hook.

Chances of a FF-FG coalition in the next 10 years are minimal. The left cannot regard it as an element for consideration.
    I'm not sure this can be dismissed as a silly season article Duth Ealla. There has been speculation for months that there has been low level contact between FF and FG. That speculation suppossed that the talks were about the formation of a new party. That never seemed a runner in my opinion.

I would not rule out the prospect of a FF/FG coalition.

Lenihan's speech in Cork today was always going to be interesting - maybe more so now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is absolutely zero chance of this ever happening.
    The reason is simple, it would finally expose the complete lack of difference between the two of them and raise the question as to why we actually need both.
    For them to exist they simply have to continue the pretence that they offer a real alternative to eachother.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast