Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Web & New Media= IFSC 2.0 for Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Web & New Media= IFSC 2.0 for Ireland

There's been a success story bubbling up here for a long while now, in that Ireland, chiefly Dublin, is attracting a "critical mass" of Web & New Media companies, today we see Google adding another 200 jobs saying this

RTÉ News: Google to create 200 jobs in Dublin
    Dublin is rapidly becoming the multilingual internet capital of Europe and Google is proud to be leading the charge on this and further increasing our presence here,' David Martin, the company's director of Geo Operations in Europe, said.
    To date Google, Yahoo, eBay, Facebook, LinkedIN and more have picked Dublin as their European centre of operations. This has all happened without any significant government involvement- and now Dublin is in pole position for any such company looking for a European base. Thousands of good quality office jobs, employing people and pumping tax revenue (PRSI & Income) back into our economy.

This is a success that we should salute - but can we build on it ? For example:
    • More tailored university courses
    • Innovative legislation around privacy & identity management
    • Other ideas ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A serious hickup in these plans are a shortage of good programmers with the right qualifications in Dublin. We're trying to hire at the moment and only one Irish resident has applied so far.

It would help if the government gave some tax discounts to foreign programmers who move here. Holland has a system like this.

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to add something in relation to the University tailored courses. I did the cert in Bioanalysis in IT Tallaght a few years ago and the course content was mostly designed I understand by Pfizer (Wyeth at the time) and the skills it gave could be used in Industry. I suppose we should have a forum of web and media companies whom should produce a list of the skills needed so that the students who study can walk into any of the aforementioned companies above and indeed any other companies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post

To date Google, Yahoo, eBay, Facebook, LinkedIN and more have picked Dublin as their European centre of operations. This has all happened without any significant government involvement
    Corporation Tax = 12.5% + 20% Tax Credit for R&D which can be offset against group wide profits + Tax Treaty with the US IRS.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Goodbody Stockbrokers picks up on this trend today: Irish cost reduction is impressive - Goodbody - RT News ... yet government jobs policy (a multi billion initiative), seems not to address this ? For one the shortage of non English speakers is an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yet another new media company establishes its EMEA operations in Dublin:
    Squarespace to create 100 Dublin jobs - RTÉ News

cYp

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too much noise and the imperialists in Brussels will up the ante on corporate tax rates.

Bear in mind that the French basketcase model government is getting very annoyed over this already, and gets jealous easily.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Too much noise and the imperialists in Brussels will up the ante on corporate tax rates.

Bear in mind that the French basketcase model government is getting very annoyed over this already, and gets jealous easily.
    I'd agree re both the jealousy and desire to make us raise tax rate, but at this stage, as with the original IFSC (Funds/Custody) : we have a critical mass of talented workforce which makes Ireland a destination of choice for new companies

And all of this has been achieved with little or no specific state initiative (unlike the original IFSC)

cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 1st May 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Just to add something in relation to the University tailored courses. I did the cert in Bioanalysis in IT Tallaght a few years ago and the course content was mostly designed I understand by Pfizer (Wyeth at the time) and the skills it gave could be used in Industry. I suppose we should have a forum of web and media companies whom should produce a list of the skills needed so that the students who study can walk into any of the aforementioned companies above and indeed any other companies.
    EMC did something similar with my post-grad in UCC; a good portion of my class work for them or subsidiaries now.
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    I'd agree re both the jealousy and desire to make us raise tax rate, but at this stage, as with the original IFSC (Funds/Custody) : we have a critical mass of talented workforce which makes Ireland a destination of choice for new companies

And all of this has been achieved with little or no specific state initiative (unlike the original IFSC)

cYp
    Sure, they're coming here for our talented workforce.....

Google pays just 0.14% tax in seven years - Independent.ie

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast