Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: One in 11 prisoners in UK are ex Brit forces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default One in 11 prisoners in UK are ex Brit forces

One in 11 prisoners serving time in UK jails is a former member of the armed forces, a new report reveals. More than 8,000 veterans are behind bars. So doesn't it just show the kind of Jeremy Kyle show type of scummer who joins the British army ?

Thousands of war veterans locked in British prisons - Telegraph

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlabMurphy View Post
    One in 11 prisoners serving time in UK jails is a former member of the armed forces, a new report reveals. More than 8,000 veterans are behind bars. So doesn't it just show the kind of Jeremy Kyle show type of scummer who joins the British army ?

did you actually read the article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Says the man with Slab Murphy as his handle!

What you could argue is that the socio-economic background of a lot of enlisted members in the UK Armed Forces is similar to background of many who end up in prison. When servicemen leave the Army it is plausible that a lot of them return to environments where criminality is pervasive. The loss of structure and discipline they had in the services might lead them down the wrong path.

But I suspect that's not the angle you going for?

All together now..."Some say the devil is dead...."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So doesn't it just show the kind of Jeremy Kyle show type of scummer who joins the British army ?
    Shows you are a troll and too dumb to put this in the correct forum ....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshee View Post

What you could argue is that the socio-economic background of a lot of enlisted members in the UK Armed Forces is similar to background of many who end up in prison. When servicemen leave the Army it is plausible that a lot of them return to environments where criminality is pervasive. The loss of structure and discipline they had in the services might lead them down the wrong path.

he also ignores the effect that being a combatant in a war zone has on most peoples mental and physical health. how many vietnam vets ended up in the prison system in the US due to the effects of their war experience. I would also think that when soldiers are involved in unpopular wars like vietnam and iraq/afghanistan they suffer even more alienation when they return home hence increasing the likelihood of them ending up in prison. if anything this is a damning indictment of the treatment that soldiers get from ungrateful politicians when they have done their dirty work for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshee View Post

Once a scummer always a scummer. The British army have a notorious reputation throughout the world, they have always been made up of the dregs on British society. Indeed a lot more of them should be in prison if their was a proper investigation of their thuggery in Iraq and Afghanistan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

No - but it demonstrates very clearly that you have no knowledge of Statistics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Last week the MoD announced that eighteen sailors face being thrown out of the Royal Navy after they tested positive for cocaine on a warship which has been used to combat drug smuggling"
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iartaoiseach View Post
    he also ignores the effect that being a combatant in a war zone has on most peoples mental and physical health. how many vietnam vets ended up in the prison system in the US due to the effects of their war experience. I would also think that when soldiers are involved in unpopular wars like vietnam and iraq/afghanistan they suffer even more alienation when they return home hence increasing the likelihood of them ending up in prison. if anything this is a damning indictment of the treatment that soldiers get from ungrateful politicians when they have done their dirty work for them.
    Plus 1.
    I know that I won't win many friends for saying this but I think that pound for pound the british squaddie is the best in the world. [Outside Isreal, that is!] Their lords and masters should look after them better when their time is served.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast