Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US announce direct Israel-Palestinian negotiations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default US announce direct Israel-Palestinian negotiations.

BBC's front page is stating that the US State Department is expected to announce details of conditions for direct Israel-Palestinian talks within the hour.

Will be interesting how they think these will work, if they'll be 2 sets of meetings between Israel and the different Palestinian factions. This morning the Obama administration were certainly seeming more interested:

We are working through the details of what is necessary to get the parties into direct negotiations," P.J. Crowley, the State Department spokesman, said Wednesday, referring to the "Quartet," the grouping of the United States, Russia, the United Nations and the European Union that guides the Middle East peace process. "We fully expect that we’re going to get there. We just, at this moment, are still working directly and trying to move the parties to that point where they’re prepared to enter into direct negotiations."

Crowley said the Quartet was still considering releasing a statement prior to the talks; Palestinians want such a statement as a means of committing Israel to discussing final status issues, including borders, Jerusalem and refugees. Israel's government has resisted such outlines.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see anything about this on the BBC website now, which is odd.

I'd need to see more before I can comment. However anything that would break the deadlock would be great.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's the first item in the tracker. It's interesting because the Palestinians were (very reasonably) demanding a statement from the quartet yesterday as to what was going to be discussed, and Israel yesterday were flat out saying no. If there isn't a statement, there isn't much point, because the become talks about talks i.e meaningless.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's the first item in the tracker. It's interesting because the Palestinians were (very reasonably) demanding a statement from the quartet yesterday as to what was going to be discussed, and Israel yesterday were flat out saying no. If there isn't a statement, there isn't much point, because the become talks about talks i.e meaningless.
    See it now. I was looking for an actual article.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

BBC News - Home Genuinely not being funny. I'm using the international version, and the Latest Ticker Bar has the title header. There's more to come shortly apparently.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember folks, no preconditions, keep on chanting that mantra. It's the Likud way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    BBC News - Home Genuinely not being funny. I'm using the international version, and the Latest Ticker Bar has the title header. There's more to come shortly apparently.
    Yeah I saw it and It's all good.

There's even an article there now, but it doesn't say much more.
    BBC News - US 'ready' to unveil Middle East talks plan

I'd hope whatever it is, has already bascially been agreed by the two sides or is something very orginial, otherwise I think it might not make any difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

No **** statement of the day:

"There are serious disagreements on many of the big issues."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have to hope for a complete freeze on East Jerusalem and Settlement building - anything less will be difficult for Abbas to swallow and keep face. Worst case scenario none of those things are on the books and/or Isreal manages to get its concessions on the Gaza blockade included instead or counted into the terms.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    Have to hope for a complete freeze on East Jerusalem and Settlement building - anything less will be difficult for Abbas to swallow and keep face.
    Abbas, like all Palestinians, is well used to swallowing the bitterest of pills and far from merely being unable to "keep face" will endure ongoing humiliation until the day he dies. There will be no "freeze" on anything Israel wants. Come back next year and tell me I'm wrong. Or the year after, or five years hence.

Worst case scenario none of those things are on the books and/or Isreal manages to get its concessions on the Gaza blockade included instead or counted into the terms.
    The worst case scenario is the one that's been unfolding for over 60 years, and the one that will come to pass: Israel will continue to strangle Palestine until there's nothing left but a few square miles of walled-off Gaza. Israel will never cease its ongoing conquest of the West Bank, brick by brick, acre by acre, until the Israel-Palestine conflict has been solved by the extinction of Palestine.

The US, along with the UK and the rest of the EU, will simply never stand up to the international might of the Zionist movement. Zionists and their supporters are prominent in the administrations of all US and UK governments, and wield great influence within the corridors of power in the EU.

One day, there'll be no more Arab land within the borders Israel controls. Then, the international 'community' will talk of the 'tragedy of the Palestinians', despite having facilitated their utter subjugation and dispossession.

Negotiations under the umbrella of the international 'community' are merely a smokescreen behind which the lands of non-Jews continue to 'fall' into Jewish settlers' hands. All Israeli involvement in 'negotiations' is merely part of the overall strategy of playing for time while building 'facts on the ground' until Greater Israel comes to represent the ultimate 'fact on the ground' in the middle-east.

When are people going to open their eyes to the realities of the middle-east.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast