Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blagojevich not guilty on most counts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Blagojevich not guilty on most counts

Just in, Blago is guilty on one count, no verdict on 24 others.

Blagojevich Guilty of Lying to Federal Agents - WSJ.com
    The truthiness will set you free! - Stephen Colbert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am suprised, I really am. I was wrong about the involvement of Blagojevich in fraud, slice humble pie for me. Of all the counts he was only found guilty of one, and that was for lying to the FBI - post the false allegations against him. On that count they got him, but still its a low blow that took down an ally of Obama and has none the less neutralised him by finding him guilty of a crime that resulted from the slew of false allegations against him.

On the other hand Sarah Palin was subjected to the same sort of sickening smear campaign by the Democrats, so probably a case of pot and kettle on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact of the matter is that he was found guilty on just the one count.There was an 11 to 1 ratio to convict him on on the other counts against him. The one hold out juror is what has resulted in a mistrial. He is to be tried again on the allegations.

Bad timing for the Democrats as the retrial will coincide with the mid term elections in November and the result will be loads of bad press for the Democrats.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was not found "not guilt" on *any* count as far as I can see. How wrong does a thread title have to be before it is changed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Defense attorney Aaron Goldstein: "Did you discuss the idea of appointing yourself (to the Senate) and going to Afghanistan to hunt down Osama bin Laden?"
    Blagojevich: "Yes"

Blagojevich testifies about strategy for filling Senate seat - Wire - Lifestyle - bellinghamherald.com
    The truthiness will set you free! - Stephen Colbert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't this mean a retrial, not that he is "not guilty"?

Bit premature to give the guy a clean bill of health.

Now that the Feds have him on one count, it may be leverage to force a plea bargain over the others. I've watched Law and Order too.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well - this is excellent news. This confirms that Chicago politics is not rotten with corruption and graft. And therefore we can expect less investigative analysis of the behaviour of Illinois politics, and indeed politics in Mass., NJ, Florida (the Republican Illinois), Las Vegas, etc....

What an excellent decision by the judges to prevent the public getting outraged and demanding more accountability in the political representatives.

What next I wonder ? a payrise for the judiciary maybe ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A glorious vindication.

The jury was split 11-1 in favour of convicting Mr. Blagojevich on the charge of selling the Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama.

Are you all retarded?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    I am suprised, I really am. I was wrong about the involvement of Blagojevich in fraud, slice humble pie for me. Of all the counts he was only found guilty of one, and that was for lying to the FBI - post the false allegations against him. On that count they got him, but still its a low blow that took down an ally of Obama and has none the less neutralised him by finding him guilty of a crime that resulted from the slew of false allegations against him.
    If Blago did not commit any of the crimes he was accused of, why did he lie to the FBI? If he wanted to avoid incrimination, he did not have to lie. Why did he not invoke the Fifth Amendment? How about the following article:
    http://www.sj-r.com/news/x716054539/...zy-experts-say
    This article says that he withheld funding from a children's hospital until he got a campaign contribution from it.
    Last edited by davidcameron; 8th June 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What did the voters expect from Blago? After all, he has something in common with Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic. He's an ethnic Serb crook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast