Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French elections

Default French elections

re message regarding French elections

What's that about Irishness and Irish culture - surely we're talking about Frenchness and French culture??
    And....as for culture....the Frenchies have it! Give us a break with your Irishness....the Irish are great but culture..........!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: French elections

Quote Originally Posted by connie treacy
    re message regarding French elections

What's that about Irishness and Irish culture - surely we're talking about Frenchness and French culture??
    And....as for culture....the Frenchies have it! Give us a break with your Irishness....the Irish are great but culture..........!!!
    First - welcome to the Site!

Yes its true the French have Culture in buckets and are very proud they are of it too.

But so do we - the Irish have plenty to be proud of too.

We can trace a distinctive Culture back for over 1,500 years.

I suppose our biggest loss has been our own Language - we really should do more on that front - and I'm guilty too I will admit on that score!

I think though its our sense of humour, our hospitality, our tendency to forgive, our love of the good life and not taking things tooo seriously that gives us our National Character.

Song, dance, literature, art are all associated with Ireland - we can be proud of our achievements as a Nation.

The French can too of course!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If France were a tolerant country there would be a thriving Celtic culture making the country much more interesting than it is. Unfortunately, France is not a tolerant country. They are going to great lengths in stamping out any culture which has a whiff of unFrenchness about it. In fact, French has been the lingua franca across the whole country for only 200 years or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Viva Le Pen

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers
    Viva Le Pen
    Not sure he'd appreciate that. He'd probably deport all Spaniards south of the border.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We must tell the Algerians that it is not the case that they need France, but that France needs them. They are not a burden, and if they are for now, they will on the contrary be a dynamic part as well as the young blood of the French nation into which we will have integrated them. I claim that in the Muslim religion there is nothing, in the moral point of view, that would be incompatible with making a believing or practicing Muslim a full French citizen. Very much on the contrary, its basic principles are the same as for Christianity, which is the basis of Western civilization. On the other hand, I do not believe that there exists an Algerian race, any more than there exists a French race... I conclude: let us offer to Algerian Muslims entrance and integration in a dynamic France. Instead of telling them as we do now: "you are very expensive, you are a burden", let us tell them: "we need you, you are the youth of the nation".

-- Jean-Marie Le Pen, Journal officiel de la République française, January 28, 1958. Said when Algeria was still a part of Metropolitan France before it attained independence.
    Wikiquote

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many people in Ireland sympathise with France and the French because they are seen as the enemies of Britain. However, the Irish should hate the French because they have completely stamped out all Celtic culture in their country. If France were a tolerant country like Spain today is, there would be pockets of Celtic-people speaking various Celtic languages all across France. Spain tolerates the national minorities, France doesn`t.

Quote Originally Posted by THR
    However, the Irish should hate the French.

I've read a lot of your posts THR and you don't normally go in for that sort incitement.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shankill Browser
    Quote Originally Posted by THR
    However, the Irish should hate the French.

I've read a lot of your posts THR and you don't normally go in for that sort incitement.
    Sorry, I mean that the Irish people should hate the French government and the French establishment which have carried out policies of ethnic cleansing. Of course not ordinary French people. They have nothing to do with the stamping out of the Celtic culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mactheknife
    We must tell the Algerians that it is not the case that they need France, but that France needs them. They are not a burden, and if they are for now, they will on the contrary be a dynamic part as well as the young blood of the French nation into which we will have integrated them. I claim that in the Muslim religion there is nothing, in the moral point of view, that would be incompatible with making a believing or practicing Muslim a full French citizen. Very much on the contrary, its basic principles are the same as for Christianity, which is the basis of Western civilization. On the other hand, I do not believe that there exists an Algerian race, any more than there exists a French race... I conclude: let us offer to Algerian Muslims entrance and integration in a dynamic France. Instead of telling them as we do now: "you are very expensive, you are a burden", let us tell them: "we need you, you are the youth of the nation".

-- Jean-Marie Le Pen, Journal officiel de la République française, January 28, 1958. Said when Algeria was still a part of Metropolitan France before it attained independence.
    Wikiquote
    Ah we all make them, but the courageous can unmake them:

"There are some in this country who fear that in going into Europe, we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty. These fears, I need hardly say, are completely unjustified."
    Edward Heath, 1972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast