Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Garda issue warning over online racism

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Garda issue warning over online racism

    I saw this in the Irish Times and it reminded of a comment on the 'Lenihan to address Béal na mBláth' thread where someone said that traitors who make fascist salutes (Cumann na nGaedhael) don't deserve free speech. It also reminded me of the controversy regarding Kevin Myers, who was under garda investigation two years ago for urging an end to all aid to Africa -- in quite colourful terms.

    Since those who favour immigration restrictionism are routinely accused of racism on this site, is there a danger they could face prosecution by the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office? It seems to me that while 'incitement to violence' is very clear-cut, 'incitement to hatred' is a matter of open interpretation -- and this ambiguity could lead to a chilling effect on the discussion of sensitive topics.


    Garda issue warning over online racism

    THE GARDA have warned people who set up pages inciting racism on online social networks that they are open to prosecution, and even people who join these sites could face charges.

    Sgt David McInerney of the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office said site hosts like Facebook were also “open to prosecution” if there was a valid complaint about racist online material.

    “It is only a matter of time before a prosecution is brought,” he said.

    [...]

    Sgt McInerney encouraged people with complaints to continue to come forward. He described racist online activity as “very harmful” and “a very very serious form of crime. People don’t realise the harm it causes. Such sites can lead directly to racial abuse against minorities in the streets.”

    Also condemning the sites, Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey said: “Social networking sites have a responsibility to ensure that the platforms they provide aren’t being abused.

    “There is a constant need for vigilance in relation to racism. Racism should be confronted however and wherever it manifests itself.”

    The Minister’s reconfigured department now has responsibility for the Government’s equality remit, formerly with the Department of Justice.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post
    I saw this in the Irish Times and it reminded of a comment on the 'Lenihan to address Béal na mBláth' thread where someone said that traitors who make fascist salutes (Cumann na nGaedhael) don't deserve free speech. It also reminded me of the controversy regarding Kevin Myers, who was under garda investigation two years ago for urging an end to all aid to Africa -- in quite colourful terms.

    Since those who favour immigration restrictionism are routinely accused of racism on this site, is there a danger they could face prosecution by the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office? It seems to me that while 'incitement to violence' is very clear-cut, 'incitement to hatred' is a matter of open interpretation -- and this ambiguity could lead to a chilling effect on the discussion of sensitive topics.


    Garda issue warning over online racism
    PC madness. A bleak future for Ireland if this sort of nonsense continues.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post
    I saw this in the Irish Times and it reminded of a comment on the 'Lenihan to address Béal na mBláth' thread where someone said that traitors who make fascist salutes (Cumann na nGaedhael) don't deserve free speech. It also reminded me of the controversy regarding Kevin Myers, who was under garda investigation two years ago for urging an end to all aid to Africa -- in quite colourful terms.

    Since those who favour immigration restrictionism are routinely accused of racism on this site, is there a danger they could face prosecution by the Garda Racial and Intercultural Office? It seems to me that while 'incitement to violence' is very clear-cut, 'incitement to hatred' is a matter of open interpretation -- and this ambiguity could lead to a chilling effect on the discussion of sensitive topics.
    Total pc rubbish. You'd think the guards would have enough to do.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Iarmhi
    Posts
    3,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    HAve they issued any warnings in relation to ANGLO yet?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    M.O. BÁC
    Posts
    4,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What they're really saying is that it is illegal to oppose the foreign invasion and takeover of Ireland, a policy mandated by our elected professional politicians.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member pinemartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    6,697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerdasi amaq View Post
    What they're really saying is that it is illegal to oppose the foreign invasion and takeover of Ireland, a policy mandated by our elected professional politicians.
    thats right, elected by you and me, thats democracy.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerdasi amaq View Post
    What they're really saying is that it is illegal to oppose the foreign invasion and takeover of Ireland, a policy mandated by our elected professional politicians.
    Read the article. It's about Facebook sites set up to slag off travellers.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Telemachus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    A Dirac Sea
    Posts
    6,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The author of this Allen Meaghar, Sgt David McInerney and Minister for Community, mumbo-jumbo and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey would want to explain how living in caravans on the side of the road can transform someone into a member of another race. Idiots.
    ..the Irish nation can become other than white, by privileging the voices of the racialised and subverting state immigration but also integration policies. – Ronit Lentin

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    The author of this Allen Meaghar, Sgt David McInerney and Minister for Community, mumbo-jumbo and Gaeltacht Affairs Pat Carey would want to explain how living in caravans on the side of the road can transform someone into a member of another race. Idiots.
    It allows them to ring fence travelers and treat them as a separate entity from everyone else, it supports their mental apartheid, they feel more comfortable if travelers are "different" to them.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    1,938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As a non-Irish national in county Limerick, I would like to note I'm more interested in Garda resources for crushing violent crime than any slagging directed at non-nationals like me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •