Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Ragwort issue is growing worse

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ragwort issue is growing worse

    Tuesday August 17 2010
    Why is ragwort so bad on roadsides this year? Do the councils not know what it is? It is poisonous and the councils are breaking the law by not killing it. Or has the law changed under the Green Party?
    Does John Gormley even know what ragwort is?
    Don't walk the roads or breathe near the ragwort or you will get sick and end up going to hospital. What hospital? Just heard the local hospital is going to close.
    I have to go now to pay my increased ESB bill. I think we should feed ragwort to the Greens.
    Brigid Hogan
    Roscam, Galway

    Irish Independent
    Well said Brigid! Why has the Minister for the Environment - John (Gormless) Gormley - not ordered councils to remove Ragwort from the verges as they are legally required to do? Ragwort seeds spread to neighbouring fields where they germinate and grow into - yes - more Ragwort. Ragwort is a poisonous plant to livestock (horses, sheep, cattle - even dogs) and causes them to die in a painful and lingering way.

    Do your job Gormley!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Planet Enda, Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    25,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    Well said Brigid! Why has the Minister for the Environment - John (Gormless) Gormley - not ordered councils to remove Ragwort from the verges as they are legally required to do? Ragwort seeds spread to neighbouring fields where they germinate and grow into - yes - more Ragwort. Ragwort is a poisonous plant to livestock (horses, sheep, cattle - even dogs) and causes them to die in a painful and lingering way.

    Do your job Gormley!
    Ragworth is not an urban thing so Mr Gormley does not need to apply the NIMBY principle in this case!

  5. #5
    Moderator Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ithaca
    Posts
    20,700
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    The stuff has infested my garden and I'm doing my best to remove it. Not easy when it is growing in abundance on the road side - great big 5 foot specimens.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Planet Enda, Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    25,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    The stuff has infested my garden and I'm doing my best to remove it. Not easy when it is growing in abundance on the road side - great big 5 foot specimens.
    Can you recycle it, then put the results into bags and give it to Trevor.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Ragworth is not an urban thing so Mr Gormley does not need to apply the NIMBY principle in this case!
    I have seen it on the edges of playing fields and in parks in Dublin so.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Myers' article makes reference to the ragworth growing along the roads that come under the ambit of the NRA.

    That being the case and notwithstanding the fact that I despise the vile Gormless as much as the next man, isn't "I'm Noelie fly me" Dempsey not the Chief Panjandrum over the dullards in the NRA?

    As I recall it, it was "I'm entitled to my holiday in Malta" Dempsey who was the Minister to blame for the roads de-icing fiasco, earlier this year.
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We are taking money from blind widows, closing hospitals and leaving school kids in prefabs. Our expenditure exceeds our revenue by €20 Billion a year, every year, and our bank bail out is costing €26 Billion and counting.

    And you want the State to spend money on eradicating Ragwort? Are you even on this planet? We are BROKE! Like totally broke. Smashed. Haven't a pot to pi$$ in. Zero cash. Are you crazy loons getting this yet?!
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Moderator Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ithaca
    Posts
    20,700
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    We are taking money from blind widows, closing hospitals and leaving school kids in prefabs. Our expenditure exceeds our revenue by €20 Billion a year, every year, and our bank bail out is costing €26 Billion and counting.

    And you want the State to spend money on eradicating Ragwort? Are you even on this planet? We are BROKE! Like totally broke. Smashed. Haven't a pot to pi$$ in. Zero cash. Are you crazy loons getting this yet?!
    I hate to break it to you but it is against the law to have ragwort growing on your land, including state land. By tolerating it they are breaking the law. Do you commonly believe that the state should fount its own laws?

    Noxious Weeds Act, 1936
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •