Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See

The original title is "Arithmetic, Population and Energy".
    It's 8 episodes, but well worth watching it through to the end if you want to understand the meaning of growth as the driving factor in our economy.
    The conclusion is that our capitalist system, as it exists, is a dead concept because it is unsustainable.
    But watch and judge yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=PlayList&p=88D980B67657B93B&inde x=0&playnext=1"]YouTube- The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See (part 1 of 8)[/ame]

If Autoplay doesn't work for you here the links to all parts of the film:
    Last edited by SirCharles; 17th August 2010 at 01:41 AM.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched part but have not the time for the rest at the moment. Interesting!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up good on ya

Seen it before, but a good piece on sustainability.
    John Drennan: We should be careful not to turn Ivor into a mythological figure, for Ivor Callely is a greedy, self-centred fool. Rather like his suits, he was one of the more lurid examples of how Fianna Fail betrayed the principles of the Republic, and itself, out of greed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the most important video you will ever see ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnoD3NUux3M]YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #9: Nobel. health care. United Nations.[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seemingly some posters are more interested in derailing threads than contributing anything to the subject. If you think you are that funny why don't you go and 'contibute' your jokes in the zoo?

The last 25 years the world population has doubled.
    The exploitation of our planet's oil resources tripled last century in only 25 years and is reaching peak now.
    If we don't take the problems serious immediately and take countermeasures soon our children will experience catastrophic conditions.
    The unsustainable way we are living nowadays will destroy the livelihood of humankind and many other species on our beloved planet.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sigh... humans are powered by greed. Nothing will change, we'll consume ourselves into destruction. The apocalypse is nigh, i just hope not in my lifetime.

The piece on oil I found the most interesting where in 1980 more people where using oil per capita or something. Anyway peak oil has already happened 30 years ago. The multipler effect of GDP growth also shows how unsustainable growth is, tell it to chinese! When will it crash over there?

The class look like they want to go straight to the pub and get locked.

Quote Originally Posted by gayguy2000 View Post
    sigh... humans are powered by greed. Nothing will change, we'll consume ourselves into destruction. The apocalypse is nigh, i just hope not in my lifetime.
    that's human nature for sure. Almost every civilization in the past expended its resources and that was the cause of them failing from south east asia, north africa, middle east, central and south america and Rome failed for economic reasons as well, hyperinflation, price instability, the coinage system failed because it was devalued so much over the 3rd, 4th and 5th centuries.

Basically the way I see human society panning out over this century and next century is eventual expenditure of world resources, massive 70% decline in population over a 30-50 year timeframe, small group of technologically advanced societies that keep others out. Maybe I should write a sci-fi novel?

unless there is mass exodus of people to Mars by somehow using technology to sustain live there, unlikely, the above will happen.
    I love to come back in a few thousand years to see what happened.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frightening stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast