Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "What If" Fianna Fail lost power in 2007

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "What If" Fianna Fail lost power in 2007

If FF had lost power in 2007,and Rainbow Coaltion came to power what would have happened given the economic meltdown that has happened since. We all know that FF would blame it on ineptitude and weakness of new Coalition, saying they would have handled it better, that developers and bankers work hand in glove with FF, and that they lose confidence when their party is out of power,and that FF handed over the country in pristine condition ! FF would also deny they created the mess and would deny Lehmans had anything to do with it. They would attack and waylay the new Gov every step of the way, and I wonder if such a gov would have lasted, though of course it might have taken a different approach to bail outs and guarantee.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A friend of mine is big into FG and I remember before the last election he said that he didn't know whether he wanted to win this one, as he figured if the economy did go down the tubes, they'd get the blame and be out for a generation.

I think he was right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We would have an effective opposition party and Cowen would be more popular than free credit.
    Rabbitte would face internal opposition for burton's bank bailout. Taoiseach Kenny would be under pressure from Bruton for his perceived incompetance. And would be gearing up for an election since no one expected the coalition to agree the 2011 budget. The economy would probably be in the same dire state it is now.
    Last edited by Congalltee; 17th August 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cowen, Bertie Ahern, Harney and a few others would have been rounded up and jailed. Enda Kenny would have been Taoiseach and Pat Rabbitte could have been in Finance when the economy went into meltdown. It was only Fine Gael's incompetence that saved it from a fate worse than Fianna Fail. However as an alternative to Lenihan, both FG and Labour might have come up with a better solution. Some FF banker and developer cronies would have been bankrupted far faster and that useless ****************************** Neary would have been fired and have had all his assets and pension seized to pay for the mess he facilitated. There would have been a lot of that going on, especially with politicians and some FFkers would have fled the jurisdiction. Would the FFers in government and responsible for the mess ever be held accountable in such a manner? As Enda Kenny once said: "Dream on, baby!".

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oddly... by now we might even have had a FG / FF government , as both would realise that Gilmore was too dangerous & slippery - and FG this time might well have taken the tough decision to jettison Labour

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would have been like replacing jed with ward...nothing would have changed , the FG/Lab gov would have followed the exact same policies and FF would now look like the good guys....Real changes are needed and soon.....

There is another way and the sooner SF and Labour get their act together and give us a real alternative to corrupt FF and FG led government the better....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its too painful to contemplate a mish mash of left and right in government since 2007. Its even more painful than the fears I have at the thoughts of these people coming to power anytime between now and 2012. Four years of decisive government from 2008 to 2012 to deal with the crash is so much better than the guaranteed indecision of FG/Labour

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    Its too painful to contemplate a mish mash of left and right in government since 2007. Its even more painful than the fears I have at the thoughts of these people coming to power anytime between now and 2012. Four years of decisive government from 2008 to 2012 to deal with the crash is so much better than the guaranteed indecision of FG/Labour

I assume it is the great expertise and experience that FF led governments have that would see us right ??
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    If FF had lost power in 2007,and Rainbow Coaltion came to power what would have happened given the economic meltdown that has happened since. We all know that FF would blame it on ineptitude and weakness of new Coalition, saying they would have handled it better, that developers and bankers work hand in glove with FF, and that they lose confidence when their party is out of power,and that FF handed over the country in pristine condition ! FF would also deny they created the mess and would deny Lehmans had anything to do with it. They would attack and waylay the new Gov every step of the way, and I wonder if such a gov would have lasted, though of course it might have taken a different approach to bail outs and guarantee.
    We'd be in the same staits as we are now and FG/Lab would be looking at another long period as Opposition the following election. As FF are looking at now. Which is why Enda isn't all that interested in an election soon.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    fg lab gov would not be indecision at least we would have a proper majority that is actualy a workin one unlike the current shower of idiots passin bills wit reli no majority they on li hav one cos of refusin to hold da bye elections.
    "Ich bin ein Berliner- I am a jelly donut-JFK"

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast