Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Gay Scene

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland's Gay Scene

Just following on from the Milk Festival thread, anyone here find the gay scene in Ireland shallow, false, bitchy and full of queens? I spent about a year just going to the gay bars and made a few good friends but went back out last Saturday for the first time in six months I went back on the scene and all I found was the same thing that drove me off the scene in the first place! Men trying to butch and queens screaming their heads off! Things like Milk, Gay Pride and everything else make life that little bit tougher for me, I want to lead my life without other people saying they represent me, why dont we have a straight parade down O Connell St.Why should we have a gay music festival, I mean really what is the point? We want to be included in society yet our actions make us look divisive. The scene as a whole while doing some good and promoting equal rights for us makes us out to be screaming fairy queens. My advice to any young person coming out, dont bother with it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll have gays coming on now saying that you're a homophobe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbuscuits
    Just following on from the Milk Festival thread, anyone here find the gay scene in Ireland shallow, false, bitchy and full of queens?
    It could be worse; it could be politics. The couple of hundred posts to your name on Politics.ie suggests you can handle shallow, false, bitchy queens.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbuscuits
    We want to be included in society yet our actions make us look divisive
    Gays celebrating their identity shouldn't be any more divisive than people taking pride in their county GAA teams.

And since open expressions of gay pride have coincided with a general decrease in homophobia (or at least open expressions of same), it's beyond me how gay pride can be said to be connected to social exclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits
    My advice to any young person coming out, dont bother with it....
    Coming out doesn't mean participating in the gay scene, or acting like some of its more striking members.
    In fact, the more "normal" gays come out (i.e. non-queen/butch/whatever), the less the gay community will come to be stereotyped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't that just personal and subjective experience of the scene though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gays celebrating their identity shouldn't be any more divisive than people taking pride in their county GAA teams.
    But is that not what happens when we do celebrate pride? Perhaps if we were to remove the overtly sexual overtones it might be a little more acceptable.

Coming out doesn't mean participating in the gay scene, or acting like some of its more striking members.
    In fact, the more "normal" gays come out (i.e. non-queen/butch/whatever), the less the gay community will come to be stereotyped.
    I have a number of friends,closeted and non closeted whom I think this would be a very good point to make to but alas its like a vicious circle, they see the scene as being full of queens etc. and this is what puts them off!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The straight club scene's the same. Shallow, false, bitchy and full of diva girls. Those of us who go there enjoy it. Same thing for the gay club scene. Just be prettier and you'll find it easier...
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The straight club scene's the same. Shallow, false, bitchy and full of diva girls. Those of us who go there enjoy it. Same thing for the gay club scene. Just be prettier and you'll find it easier...

I ran out of Glitter Sync, whats a man to do

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Just following on from the Milk Festival thread, anyone here find the gay scene in Ireland shallow, false, bitchy and full of queens? I spent about a year just going to the gay bars and made a few good friends but went back out last Saturday for the first time in six months I went back on the scene and all I found was the same thing that drove me off the scene in the first place! Men trying to butch and queens screaming their heads off! Things like Milk, Gay Pride and everything else make life that little bit tougher for me, I want to lead my life without other people saying they represent me, why dont we have a straight parade down O Connell St.Why should we have a gay music festival, I mean really what is the point? We want to be included in society yet our actions make us look divisive. The scene as a whole while doing some good and promoting equal rights for us makes us out to be screaming fairy queens. My advice to any young person coming out, dont bother with it....

Being gay and walking into the george expecting to feel at home is the same thing as being straight and walking into to say copper face jacks and expecting to feel at home?

It makes no sense. Gay bars are just places where a high number of gay people drink. To expect a deeper meaning to them is stupid.

Its not the 80s early 90s where we were out casts. Sure there junior cert students coming out now in school without a problem.

The days of a gay community are gone and never to return. Its kind of sad, depending on your point of view, but its true.

Putting such a mondane issue as your experience on the gay scene as big part of your life is ridiculous. Move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jquinn View Post
    Putting such a mondane issue as your experience on the gay scene as big part of your life is ridiculous. Move on.

I have thats the thing, I now have the perfect balance in my life, what my point was a person is moulded by their experiences and I have had more pleasent experiences away from the gay scene. Gay bars are where people go to have a drink, that's plainly obvious but to some they become their whole bloody life! For me, I met a few people through friends, internet etc. and this has provided a better experience for me than the bars etc. I like the way you assumed I made it a big part of my life, not for one moment did I say that, I just said I gave it a try and in the end its more or less not for me and also this is what Im getting from a lot of men who I meet or am friends with, when its been said numerous times it becomes hard to ignore...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You gays and your crazy life style choices!!!

(That's a joke by the way)

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast