Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Sex offenders - a solution?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sex offenders - a solution?

    In reading what has been in the public domain what would you lot think of the following solution to solve the problems off sex offenders. I have heard numerous people say "shoot them" (women in work mostly!) but first this is my understanding of rape.

    Rape is in nine times out of ten related to power and feeling of inadequacies in their own life and therefore to regain some power in their life they feel they must harm other people (in this case women). Sex and agression are linked in with power which in a mans case is run by the hormone testosterone. Why not surgically fit a patch inside these men that will dampen their sex drive and take the edge of them. If we cut out testosterone and just keep it to a minimum for them to function, surley we can dampen their urges? Throwing this open to comment...

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The death penalty ensures no reoffending.

    It should be done the Chinese way so that it is cheap. Once found guilty, brought out back and hung. They should do it in public so people can see justice being done.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    The death penalty ensures no reoffending.

    It should be done the Chinese way so that it is cheap. Once found guilty, brought out back and hung. They should do it in public so people can see justice being done.
    I know Rape is a horrible thing and one of the most nefarious things a man can commit. But don't you think what you've said is a bit extreme?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nth.co.Dublin
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian Contrarian View Post
    I know Rape is a horrible thing and one of the most nefarious things a man can commit. But don't you think what you've said is a bit extreme?
    no.....what he said is spot on.simple as.no need to go around in circles with this one.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Sex offenders - a solution?
    No, they most certainly are not.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mary hinge View Post
    no.....what he said is spot on.simple as.no need to go around in circles with this one.
    It is a savage act. Are you so vehement about it because it scars the woman for life? I could say the same about a burglar or a mugger who mugs an old lady or a young woman, it will scar her for life. As would a drug addict holding up someone.

    I know where you're coming from - but where do we stop with regards to the death penalty? And public executions are a insane idea.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian Contrarian View Post
    It is a savage act. Are you so vehement about it because it scars the woman for life? I could say the same about a burglar or a mugger who mugs an old lady or a young woman, it will scar her for life. As would a drug addict holding up someone.

    I know where you're coming from - but where do we stop with regards to the death penalty? And public executions are a insane idea.
    You are against the death penaly, fair enough. HOwever, ignoring that, why is having it in public "insane". Other parts of the world do it. Justice should be seen to be done and many would enjoy seeing a child rapist hung.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Rape is in nine times out of ten related to power
    The crime is always about power because the crime itself is the removal of the power of sexual consent from the victim. If it was just sex, the frustrated person would go find a prostitute.

    The reason for the prevalence of rape as an instrument of power (and why it's so traumatic) is probably that we invest so much importance on, and assign so much power to, sex and sexuality. It's almost revered, more than life in a lot of ways. Depictions of graphic death are far less taboo than depictions of graphic sex.

    It's possible that the best way to "solve" the problem is to assign sex and sexuality the relative importance it's actually due, not create more mystique and power around it.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by typical View Post
    The crime is always about power because the crime itself is the removal of the power of sexual consent from the victim. If it was just sex, the frustrated person would go find a prostitute.

    The reason for the prevalence of rape as an instrument of power (and why it's so traumatic) is probably that we invest so much importance on, and assign so much power to, sex and sexuality. It's almost revered, more than life in a lot of ways. Depictions of graphic death are far less taboo than depictions of graphic sex.

    It's possible that the best way to "solve" the problem is to assign sex and sexuality the relative importance it's actually due, not create more mystique and power around it.

    Very good post typical thats a very interesting way of looking at it. To assign sex and sexuality less importance would take a lot of ground work and would be in my opinion a very hard task considering the amount of sex that we are surrounded by. If we were to do what you say and make sex less appealing , what would it be replaced with in terms of an instrument of abuse?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian Contrarian View Post
    I know Rape is a horrible thing and one of the most nefarious things a man can commit. But don't you think what you've said is a bit extreme?

    Some people get a kind of sexual thrill out of writing fantasies on the internet about hanging people.

    It's sad, but you should feel sorry for them and move on.

    Eventually they will find the right website for them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •