Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bjork leads protest against Iceland energy sale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bjork leads protest against Iceland energy sale

Icelandic singer Bjork, known for her political activism, urged parliament Monday to review the planned sale of a local geothermal energy company, saying the deal could harm Iceland's interests.

Björk steps up fight against vulturish investors

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USDlMrTn4I]YouTube - Björk speaks out against controversial sale in Icelandic energy sector[/ame]

Where are our artists? U2, Wolfe Tones et al. You could do something, for example, against the sellout of Irish gas resources in Mayo (=> Shell to Sea).

'truthforsooth' just opened a thread here to support a petition to Suspend the work on the Corrib Gas Project Pending a Full Investigation.

We need solidarity in this country.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love that girl

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jedward and Christy from Aslan Vs. Shell, I can see it all now.
    Why didn't we think of this before.

Seriously though fair play to Björk.
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where was she when Icelandic interests were buying up half of the world?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencircle View Post

In all seriousness, if you want the country rid of Shell you could do worse than withdraw the troop of troublemaking hippies and send in Jedward and Christie from Aslan.

They could then do a Christmas duet about their struggle. Save us from having West Life grining at us all through the festive season... again.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love bjork..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    In all seriousness, if you want the country rid of Shell you could do worse than withdraw the troop of troublemaking hippies and send in Jedward and Christie from Aslan.

They could then do a Christmas duet about their struggle. Save us from having West Life grining at us all through the festive season... again.
    At least these "troublemaking hippies" do something.

What have you done against the sellout of Irish resources there?

Shell et al don't pay any loyalties to the country for harvesting the gas. Therefore they put Irish citizens under threat in Mayo.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by c_q_d View Post
    I love bjork..
    cqd, if you love our country please sign this petition. Thanks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirCharles View Post
    At least these "troublemaking hippies" do something.
    Yes, cause trouble and destroy and public support for the issue. Well done hippies.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencircle View Post

+1

It's not a 1 off for her. From: Björk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Björk has also taken an interest in environmental issues in her native country. In 2004 Björk took part in the "Hætta" concert in Reykjavík, organised in protest against the building of Alcoa aluminium smelters in the country, which would make Iceland the biggest smelter in Europe. She founded the organization "Náttúra" which aims to promote Icelandic nature and grassroots industries. On October 28, 2008 Björk wrote an article for The Times discussing the state of the Icelandic economy, and her thoughts on the proposed use of natural resources to get the country out of debt. Björk, in collaboration with Audur Capital, set up a venture capital fund titled "BJÖRK" to support the creation of sustainable industries in Iceland. She has written the foreword to the English translation of the Iceland bestseller by Andri Snaer Magnason entitled "Dreamland." On May 21, 2010 Björk wrote an open letter in the newspaper Reykjavík Grapevine, calling on the Icelandic government to "do everything in its power to revoke the contracts with Magma Energy", the Canadian company who now has complete ownership of Icelandic geothermal company HS Orka."

In fairness, we have had Christy Hoor, Moving Hearts, Mick Hanley, Damien Dempsey, Sister Sinéad; not to mention Francie Brolly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast