Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to suspend work on Corrib gas project

Default Petition to suspend work on Corrib gas project

Suspend the work on the Corrib Gas Project Pending a Full Investigation | Petitions . Contact . ie

This is a petition calling for a suspension of the current and pending works around the Corrib Gas Project.
    This project is:
    • Approved by an Irish political regime that smacks of corruption - "This wealth will be leaving Ireland, thanks to a deal made between the corrupt Haughey government and multinational oil companies. Minister Ray Burke (later jailed for corruption) changed the law in 1987, reducing the State’s share in our offshore oil and gas from 50% to zero and abolishing royalties. In 1992, Minister Bertie Ahern reduced the tax rate for the profits made from the sale of these resources from 50% to 25%" The Gas & Oil Robbery | Shell to Sea
    • Being delivered by "project splitting", i.e. in piecemeal parts, to circumvent normal planning procedures for an infrastructural project
    • Financially disastrous to the Irish state (see above - NO royalties, NO ownership of the gas, and a mere 25% tax on profits after all costs, including decommissioning of infrastructure (in other words maybe no tax at all for many years))
    • Not likely to contribute to Ireland's energy needs (we have no reason to believe that we will get any of the gas, and if we do we'll have to pay full market value)
    • Environmentally damaging to plant and animal life in the area (where do I even start on this one - go and have a look for yourself at what's being done!)
    • Likely to put human life at risk through unstable, mixed, unrefined gases being pumped at high pressures onshore
    • Being forced through by illegal strongarm tactics by Gardai and private security - check out youtube or the Pipe Down documentary Pipe Down: New Documentary on the Corrib Gas Project | Shell to Sea
    • An experimental pipeline design that has required constant modification due to faults being found with it

Just leaving it at that (and I could go on), it is questionable whether this project is of any benefit except to those who stand to benefit directly financially from it, i.e. those to whom either Shell or the Government have donated money for their compliance, those few who might gain employment in construction or service industry (which will happen anyway even if the project is improved), or those Gardai who are earning massive overtime money hassling protesters while other areas go understaffed.

Please consider what I've written, find out more for yourselves, question the motives of those who support the project (and those who oppose it of course - my motive is, if it can be inflicted on one isolated community it can be inflicted on yours or mine), and if you feel that you should,

Please sign the petition.
    Last edited by truthforsooth; 14th August 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Additional information to justify posting new thread with petition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very good!!!
    More that 2,300 signatures already.
    I signed it too.
    Every signature counts.
    Thanks for this thread.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Quote Originally Posted by SirCharles View Post
    Very good!!!
    More that 2,300 signatures already.
    I signed it too.
    Every signature counts.
    Thanks for this thread.
    Thanks Charles (hope you don't mind me not calling you Sir!)
    Every signature counts indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthforsooth View Post
    Thanks Charles (hope you don't mind me not calling you Sir!)
    Every signature counts indeed.
    Not at all

I linked your thread to this one. Hope you don't mind too.

We need solidarity in this country.
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any means of verifying that there aren't multiple signatures from the same person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<ADMIN>
    If this thread gets a quality OP that promotes debate, it will get back to the main boards, else it shall languish in The Zoo
    </ADMIN>
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Is there any means of verifying that there aren't multiple signatures from the same person?
    You can't sign twice. Try it. Won't work. Except someone is cheating with different name and email address.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    <ADMIN>
    If this thread gets a quality OP that promotes debate, it will get back to the main boards, else it shall languish in The Zoo
    </ADMIN>
    ???
    Sorry. What's wrong with this thread in your opinion?

MrFunkyBoogaloo

???
    Sorry. What's wrong with this thread in your opinion?
    Now I ain't a Mod or anything but I think it's because there is, effectively, no OP, just a link. Basically it's an advertisement. Perhaps if the OP said a few words regarding why posters should sign the petition.

ps. I signed it anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Now I ain't a Mod or anything but I think it's because there is, effectively, no OP, just a link. Basically it's an advertisement. Perhaps if the OP said a few words regarding why posters should sign the petition.

ps. I signed it anyway!
    Don't get your point then. It says it all on the petition's website. And you also can see a discussion here. If you signed the petition please don't try to become counterproductive here. I've seen many much worse threads in my view.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by SirCharles; 14th August 2010 at 03:39 AM.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Don't get your point then. It says it all on the petition's website. And you also can see a discussion here. If you signed the petition please don't try to become counterproductive here. I've seen many much worse threads in my view.
    Cheers.
    Counterproductive?? By attempting to answer your question?? Threads beginning with links only are not allowed, AFAIK, on p.ie without some form of input from the OP.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast