Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Garda Drive to Defeat City Drug Scourge

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Garda Drive to Defeat City Drug Scourge

Media reports big Garda drive to cleanup the criminal drug trade. Dozens arrested and some seizures made. Some charges to follow. Drug dealers in retreat.
    But hang on a minute......haven't we been here before.....several times ?
    To what effect.....?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
    Media reports big Garda drive to cleanup the criminal drug trade. Dozens arrested and some seizures made. Some charges to follow. Drug dealers in retreat.
    But hang on a minute......haven't we been here before.....several times ?
    To what effect.....?
    Yip, here and all over the world. It may bump up the price of street drugs for a while (with consequent increase in associated crimes) and by means of Criminal Darwinism it will select for a slightly more efficient (and probably more ruthless) species of drug dealer.

Prohibition doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Yip, here and all over the world. It may bump up the price of street drugs for a while (with consequent increase in associated crimes) and by means of Criminal Darwinism it will select for a slightly more efficient (and probably more ruthless) species of drug dealer.

Prohibition doesn't work.
    Have to agree with you Baron, the war on drugs is a contradiction in and of itself for the very reasons you've stated. That's why it simply can't be won.
    Last edited by Mossy Heneberry; 13th August 2010 at 06:44 PM.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Piddling against the wind. Millions spent on bringing in a few dozen dealers who will probably be replaced before tea-time.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the government should supply free heroin to registered users.
    This would immediately reduce crime, as the users would not have to commit it in order to pay for the drug, but also blow the pushers out of the water as there would be no need to pay for it.

I know it can't be that simple.

What am I missing ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are on the case!

RT… News: 35 arrests in Dublin drugs operation

Cannabis at least should be legalised. The amount of money spent on targetting dealers for this relatively harmless (I await the howls of disagreement on that one), drug is laughable.

If one could buy it legally what would the dealers do? Reduce the price I suppose.

The war on drugs is an impossible one. However, Portugal has legalised Class A drugs with significant success, and the dealing and general scumbaggery associated with it has reduced significantly as a result, as have rates of HIV.

5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results: Scientific American

While the cops are only doing their job on this, because illegal drugs are, well... illegal, I suspect a lot of this is optics as a result of the revulsion many feel seeing the open dealing and awful behaviour of the strung out on the main streets of Dublin and I'm sure other cities and towns.

Dermot Ahern must be kicking ass somewhere, but he would be better off taking the Gulfstream to Lisbon, and learning some valuable lessons from another PIIGS country.

Why has the Portuguese experiment in legalisation of drugs not been debated in this country?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    This would immediately reduce crime, as the users would not have to commit it in order to pay for the drug, but also blow the pushers out of the water as there would be no need to pay for it.

What am I missing ?
    Many of the bottom tier of pushers are dealing to supply their own habit so if you remove that need you remove the pressure on them to recruit new users.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post

What am I missing ?
    And less people would die as the quality could be controlled. And the cost pf policing and prosecuting would fall dramatically.

The tricky bit is finding some legislators who see this route as a valid alternative and who also have the courage to go about implementing it. It certainly would not be easy.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    Have to agree with you Baron, the war on drugs is a contradiction in and of itself for the very reasons you've stated. That's why it simply can't be won.
    At the end the film 'Traffic' the Michael Douglas character (the drug czar) walks off the podium where he was meant to give his 'we're winning the war' speech saying 'how can we declare war on our own families' . now I realize it's only a movie but that statement makes more sense than any utterance I've yet heard from a succession of ministers for justice. the character also had more courage than any of them. D Ahern in particular strikes me as ignorant in the extreme. Fachtna Murphy isn't far behind him if his comments on various news bulletins is anything to go by.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    They are on the case!

RT… News: 35 arrests in Dublin drugs operation

Cannabis at least should be legalised. The amount of money spent on targetting dealers for this relatively harmless (I await the howls of disagreement on that one), drug is laughable.

If one could buy it legally what would the dealers do? Reduce the price I suppose.

The war on drugs is an impossible one. However, Portugal has legalised Class A drugs with significant success, and the dealing and general scumbaggery associated with it has reduced significantly as a result, as have rates of HIV.

5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results: Scientific American

While the cops are only doing their job on this, because illegal drugs are, well... illegal, I suspect a lot of this is optics as a result of the revulsion many feel seeing the open dealing and awful behaviour of the strung out on the main streets of Dublin and I'm sure other cities and towns.

Dermot Ahern must be kicking ass somewhere, but he would be better off taking the Gulfstream to Lisbon, and learning some valuable lessons from another PIIGS country.

Why has the Portuguese experiment in legalisation of drugs not been debated in this country?
    because we have a gutless shower of ignorami running the show here. they care not jot for peoples health as evidenced by the whole drug 'policy' here. it's backwards we are going. other countries are thinking progressively but who do we ape? the regressive ones. bravo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast