Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Good piece on 'morality' of downloading music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Good piece on 'morality' of downloading music

This is from the Irish Times and takes issue with the designation of downloading music for free as theft. He goes on though ,to balance out his view by saying the whole issue of downloading/copyright on the internet needs to be examined rather than a ludicrous three strikes your out law which only bans a user from one computer.

Music industry's sour note on file sharing - The Irish Times - Fri, Aug 13, 2010

Nothing we don't know already there.

Technology made the sale of recorded music possible. Technology made home recording possible. Now technology has made possible the free distribution of recorded music.

And no, it's not like 'stealing a car.' It's like making a perfect copy of somebody else's car, without affecting their car in any way.

Boggle

These musicians seem to think that writing and singing one song should automatically give them a life of champagne and strippers.
    As far as I'm concerned I'll pay for the gigs and if i like their music, I'll pay for an album when it comes down in price.

They can whinge and moan but.... tough. Their self importance is not worth more than my privacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought an interesting point was they were warned about the effect of digitalising music(easier to copy) but ignored it as the profits from making you buy a CD copy of a vinyl record you already had were too good to pass up, but long term some arrangement will prob have to be reached as very few artists are broken though the internet and we still need record companies for that.
    BTW-many of these CDS you bought in the 80s were not copied from master tapes but just copied from inferior versions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why pay for it when we can get it for free? same with films.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    Why pay for it when we can get it for free? same with films.
    Funny. I haven't paid for music in years, yet I pay for cinema and DVDs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ten years ago, before downloading took off in earnest as broadband came in, it was not uncommon to go into record shops in this country and see new albums on sale for £25 (pounds, not euro).

i remember paying that for "xtrmntr" by primal scream in tower records in dublin -- a good record, but TWENTY FIVE ******************************ING QUID!!!

today, of course, you can buy new albums in those places for little more than ten euro. but it's too late.

the record industry screwed itself with its own staggering greed over the preceding decades. people were absolutely sick of paying through the nose for a cd that might have maybe three good tracks on it. that is why they embraced downloading with such eagerness.

as an aside, i used to have a job which involved occasional dealings with the music business and i have never met a more inept, incompetent shower of twerps in my entire life. they routinely screwed up the simplest of tasks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of the "music" downloaded is utter garbage. It a consolation if people are not actually wasting money on it.

Dylan2010

its an interesting area, the question is how far do property rights extend, one line in the sand is at the level of the atom, you have a right to the "atoms" in your legal possession but otherwise no. This would prevent the first caveman from charging a royalty to the second caveman who built a house ;-) after that it becomes arbitrary. In theory Shakespear should still be copyrighted and the underlying holders would have a tradable asset. In general the less protection the better, copyright and IP etc. have become corporate WMDs and wider society pays the price.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Most of the "music" downloaded is utter garbage. It a consolation if people are not actually wasting money on it.
    Cael, do you ever think that everything isn't objective?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast