Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday 26th September, Catholic women of Ireland to boycott mass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sunday 26th September, Catholic women of Ireland to boycott mass

About time too!!

Patsy McGarry in the IT today reports about an 80-yr old woman, the mother of a monk who is organising a one-day boycott of mass:

Jennifer Sleeman from Clonakilty in Cork said she wants “to let the Vatican and the Irish church know that women are tired of being treated as second-class citizens”.

She has called on the Catholic women of Ireland to “join your sisters on Sunday, September 26th. On that one day boycott Mass. Stay at home and pray for change. We are the majority. We may have been protesting individually but unremarked on, but together we have strength and our absence, the empty pews, will be noticed”.
    I hope every Catholic woman in the country will join her on the boycott on the Sunday 26th September.

She said: “Whatever change you long for, recognition, ordination, the end of celibacy, which is another means of keeping women out, join with your sisters and let the hierarchy know by your absence that the days of an exclusively male-dominated church are over.”
    Full article here: Monk's mother calls on women to join one-day boycott of Mass - The Irish Times - Wed, Aug 11, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The interesting thing is that this woman is a convert to Catholicism, presumably from some form of Protestantism. I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism which have a far more enlightened attitude towards women. No chance of the Catholic church catching up, certainly not in this woman's lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She's wondering about that herself, judging from what she says in the article. Is on Radio 1 today at 1.45.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    The interesting thing is that this woman is a convert to Catholicism, presumably from some form of Protestantism. I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism which have a far more enlightened attitude towards women. No chance of the Catholic church catching up, certainly not in this woman's lifetime.
    What a shallow post. I suppose you would have told the Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws "convert to Protestantism lads, you'll be freer that way".

Dylan2010

one day? sure they'll all go Saturday evening on the sly. Pity Father Ted isnt still running, there is a plot line there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Interista;2910803]I would say the most logical thing (if logic can be brought into matters religious) would be for her to revert or convert to one of the liberal forms of Protestantism...QUOTE]

x1.

To be fair to the Catholic Church, it's pretty straight up about its dogma, ideology and practices, as well as the autocratic, penis-owning nature of its leadership. If you don't like these things, you're perfectly free to join a church of a different flavour...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Her naiveté is touching in that she believes that this would make one whit of a difference to the catholic church's appalling attitude towards women.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Hank Tree View Post
    What a shallow post. I suppose you would have told the Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws "convert to Protestantism lads, you'll be freer that way".
    Totally irrelevant, to the point of trolling. Presumably those Catholics in Ireland during the penal laws still wanted/thought themselves to be through and through Catholics, and were being forced to choose against their conscience by a ruling elite. Today we have what are essentially half baked, quasi Protestant Catholics wanting the Church to make precisely the kind of fundamental changes to itself that the Holly See etc have no intention of making. No third party here, I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone can wangle up a way of bring in the Brits.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A waste of time and effort.

It may make the lady feel better, and has certainly given her her 15 minutes of fame.

However, as an attempt to change church policz, it is an utterly vain gesture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cue lapsed Catholics and atheists coming on welcoming this move

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast