Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Any tangible proof of civil service productivity from the Croke Park Agreement?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Any tangible proof of civil service productivity from the Croke Park Agreement?

The government's agreement to maintain inflexible Celtic Tiger era civil service wages in the Croke Park Agreement (CPA) must have concerned the international bond trading desks deluged by Irish bond issues needed to pay those wages. The only redeeming feature of the CPA was the hope-likely forlorn in view of the experience with invisible Benchmarking productivity-that the civil service unions would allow swift interdepartmental reassignments of employees and managers to departments experiencing critical staff shortages through natural wastage from the ban on recruitment.

Before Croker,there were rows in the HSE about such reassignments,with staff refusing to supply top management with budget reports. Was there a happy conclusion to this dispute? Have all HSE staff ceded the right at the time of the HSE's creation to stay put even if there is no work for them due to consolidations or closures of services?

Tangible proof of productivity from the CPA is needed soon to bolster the credibility of the government's plans to stick to budgetary austerity without gutting government services.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yawn.. another public sector bashing post, its so tiresome and boring, you do realise we have suffered pay cuts and levies, move on and get a life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Boo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Yawn.. another public sector bashing post, its so tiresome and boring, you do realise we have suffered pay cuts and levies, move on and get a life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can't look for productivity increases when no reform has taken place. Cutting pay rates by 5-8% is just that - a pay cut.

The public sector needs transformational change - cutting pay just frustrates employees - both good and bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grafter1 View Post
    You can't look for productivity increases when no reform has taken place. Cutting pay rates by 5-8% is just that - a pay cut.

The public sector needs transformational change - cutting pay just frustrates employees - both good and bad.
    Does "transformational change" mean getting rid of (making redundant) all of those members of the Civil and Public services who don't actually have productive or uselful jobs? - Such as those in the HSE and most of our Quangos

If so, I'm all for Transformational change!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, after the campaign of vitriolic bile, hatred and scapegoating public servants have had to put up with over the last two years and c. 15% cuts in pay, you can rev up and ******************** off if you think you're getting any more work out of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    The government's agreement to maintain inflexible Celtic Tiger era civil service wages in the Croke Park Agreement (CPA) must have concerned the international bond trading desks deluged by Irish bond issues needed to pay those wages. The only redeeming feature of the CPA was the hope-likely forlorn in view of the experience with invisible Benchmarking productivity-that the civil service unions would allow swift interdepartmental reassignments of employees and managers to departments experiencing critical staff shortages through natural wastage from the ban on recruitment.

Before Croker,there were rows in the HSE about such reassignments,with staff refusing to supply top management with budget reports. Was there a happy conclusion to this dispute? Have all HSE staff ceded the right at the time of the HSE's creation to stay put even if there is no work for them due to consolidations or closures of services?

Tangible proof of productivity from the CPA is needed soon to bolster the credibility of the government's plans to stick to budgetary austerity without gutting government services.
    No offense patslatt, but I think this thread should be moved to the "tooth fairy" section!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    If their output has fallen by less than the percentage by which their pay has fallen, that means their productivity went up.

If their output has stayed steady, that means their productivity went up.

That's what productivity means. You take output, and you measure the units of output per euro spent.

Not that the bashers'd ever understand that basic arithmetic. In fact, if they were capable of that basic arithmetic, they wouldn't have failed the entrance exam and they wouldn't have this hilarious chip on their shoulder.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pay cuts are relative

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    Well, after the campaign of vitriolic bile, hatred and scapegoating public servants have had to put up with over the last two years and c. 15% cuts in pay, you can rev up and ******************** off if you think you're getting any more work out of me.
    Most people have had pay cuts,some 100% (guess who),so you have an attitude problem. I'm sorry to have to tell you your job's gone. Pick up your cards and back pay for this month on your way out. I'm sure you will be happier in a new career where you will fully apply your talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Most people have had pay cuts,some 100% (guess who),so you have an attitude problem. I'm sorry to have to tell you your job's gone. Pick up your cards and back pay for this month on your way out. I'm sure you will be happier in a new career where you will fully apply your talents.
    Actually, no, you are talking ********************, I will be scratching my hole for the next 30 years, thank you very much.

Still haven't gotten over that spanking some teacher gave you 30 years ago?

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast