Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will FG make a referendum on the Seanad a "non negotiable"

Default Will FG make a referendum on the Seanad a "non negotiable"

If as now looks certain, FG lead the next government but need the support of Labour to have a Dail majority, will they make the abolition of the Seanad a non-negotiable item in the programme for government? There is no question that the abolition of the Seanad would be a popular move and a major vote winner for FG, but unless they make it a priority, it could well be seen as kite-flying. Can we trust FG to fulfill their promises?
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abolition of the Dail would be as popular. Kenny's latest stunt is pure populism and it doesn't actually help to reform the political system. It's straight out of the Eamon Gilmore book of politics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will support any party who get rid of Senate and reduce number of useless TDs and more important reduce salaries and expenses of all politicians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't you see that this is a smoke screen? It's big and it's flashy and it appeals to the anger felt by Sindo readers everywhere. It will also mean that under FG there will be no root and branch reform of the political system and without that reform we'll be doomed to repeat the same cycle of cronyism and parish pump politics.

This move will take the pressure off Enda to have to do what's best for the country even if it upsets the parliamentary party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour have never said that they oppose Fine Gael on this and I think Pat Rabbitt expressly stated that he did and I think Gilmore basically implied that he did, so I wouldn't see it as being a problem in future coalition negotiations.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Labour have never said that they oppose Fine Gael on this and I think Pat Rabbitt expressly stated that he did and I think Gilmore basically implied that he did, so I wouldn't see it as being a problem in future coalition negotiations.
    Agree its unlikely to be a stumbling block in any future prospective coalition negotiations between Fine Gael and Labour, the only ones who would feel discommoded would be members of the Senate.
    Unless the referendum to abolish the Senate was held within 90 days of the dissolution of this Dail, constitutionally there would probably have to be one last Senate elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    Agree its unlikely to be a stumbling block in any future prospective coalition negotiations between Fine Gael and Labour, the only ones who would feel discommoded would be members of the Senate.
    Unless the referendum to abolish the Senate was held within 90 days of the dissolution of this Dail, constitutionally there would probably have to be one last Senate elected.

Yes, probably, but if the incoming government made it a priority, they would be in place for less than a year.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Yes, probably, but if the incoming government made it a priority, they would be in place for less than a year.
    It's difficult to know how it will work. It might be a case that the next Seanad will have to sit it's full term and then there will be no elections after that.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope they do as Its now or never to get rid of this useless expensive talking shop. I often watch just the opening business live on the net on the few days it sits. Its a howl, basically talking about what it says in the papers, or condemning the latest gangland killing. And usual pokes between Donie Cassidy, Buttimer, Ronan Mullen,Jim Walsh, Labhrás, Norris, Harris, etc. And sad thing is some of them regard themselves as possessing the wisdom of Soloman or the nous of Lincoln. Of course the people have the final say, but I dont think we'll be found wanting.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael need to make coalition a non negotiable with the electorate and simply state that they will not go into coalition with anyone after the next election. They must force the public to choose between a govt with a FF element be they senior or junior partners with Labour or one without a FF element by giving FG an overall majority or giving Labour enough seats to form a coalition with someone else. The country is in so much trouble at the moment that the last thing it needs is 2 ideologically opposed parties forming a coalition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast