Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gasland - The problems with Gas Fracking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gasland - The problems with Gas Fracking

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe1AeH0Qz8&feature=player_embedded#]YouTube - ‪GASLAND Trailer 2010‬‎[/ame]!

i wonder when the irish release date is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Hmmmm! Now, who is on my mailing list?

Thanks for posting this for all the dumb and dumber out there - not that they'll understand it or even want to try to understand it.

Funny (not haha) - the guy at around 1.35 on youtube video asking "If you weren't able to do this hydraulic fracturing how much more would we be dependent on foreign oil...and terrorism?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthforsooth View Post
    Funny (not haha) - the guy at around 1.35 on youtube video asking "If you weren't able to do this hydraulic fracturing how much more would we be dependent on foreign oil...and terrorism?"
    Clearly US politicians understand that they are dependent on terrorism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The map at 2:05 shows fracturing in Europe and even the UK. I can guarantee fracturing is not being carried out in Europe and current thought is that it may only be feasible in Poland.

I hope that doesn't take from the documentary though ask I do think the impacts should be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by termcg View Post
    The map at 2:05 shows fracturing in Europe and even the UK. I can guarantee fracturing is not being carried out in Europe and current thought is that it may only be feasible in Poland.
    Thanks for this information. Do you know if the Weald Basin in southern England is being worked, and if so how is the gas being extracted? I also read somewhere a mention of exploration in shale beds in the north of Ireland.
    Unfortunately, I don't know much (yet) about the technology used, or its impacts - this is a whole new field to me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know there are no offshore gas fracturing sites in the world and the map in the video collaborates this, all the sites are on land. The other thing is gas fracturing has been going on for decades, its horizontal gas fracturing that relatively new. Maybe his map is all of the gas fracturing sites and not just the controversial kind? The Weald Basin is off shore and so would be conventional exploration. This technology is still relatively new and so still requires a first of a kind premium in the states. That premium would be much larger in Europe as it hasn't been deployed here at all yet.

The reason shale gas has been a game charger is because while it is more expensive than conventional exploration in the states it is cheaper and more secure than imported LNG. That means there is now a glut of LNG on the international market which can be sold to Europe which is driving down the price of Russian gas and delinking the gas and oil prices. The credit crunch also had an effect.

Im sorry I am not aware of any gas exploration around the north but I am more interested in the gas than the exploration. Given the suppressed prices at the moment and all the projections in the medium term aren't wonderful for producers I cant see anyone developing and financing a small gas field on the western tip of Europe. The British government would really need to get behind it for security of supply reasons and they are focused on the nuclear and renewable debate at the moment.

I am not trying to debunk gas land, I am just trying to provoke debate so have a look at this link Energy in Depth

My own personal opinion is you cannot pump high pressure water and even low concentration of chemicals into the ground and water table and not expect some issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Providence Resources to begin test-drilling for oil off Dalkey Island - The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 09, 2010
    Providence Resources to begin test-drilling for oil off Dalkey Island

BARRY O'HALLORAN

EXPLORATION GROUP Providence Resources is set to begin drilling for oil off Dalkey Island in Co Dublin.

The company yesterday issued a statement saying that initial soundings taken in a exploration licence area in the Kish Bank in the Irish Sea, known as the Dalkey Island prospect, indicate that it has the potential to produce oil.

The block covers a large area in the Irish Sea, but its western edge lies off Dalkey, one of Dublin’s swishest neighbourhoods and home to a number of celebrities, including some members of rock group U2.

However, Providence chief executive Tony O’Reilly jnr said yesterday that any activity would be offshore, and added that it would be unlikely to prompt complaints from Bono.

“It is well offshore,” he said, “but the advantage is that it is in very shallow water, there is nothing like the depth that you get in blocks like Dunquin or Spanish Point” (which are both off the west coast).

Drilling is not likely to begin there for some time. Providence, and its 50 per cent partner in the block, Petronas, initially intend to run seismic tests, which will provide a picture of the area’s geology. This should provide the main clues to the whereabouts of oil or natural gas.

Based on that, it will then begin exploratory drilling, which is simply a series of drilling exercises aimed at establishing if the area holds oil and if so, how much.

Drilling for oil in shallow water is cheaper and safer than in deep water, where Providence is used to working, as it has interests all around the Irish coast.

Mr O’Reilly could not say how long it would take before it begins this part of the project. “I could not say within months at this stage, we will have to see after we’ve done the seismic.”

Over the years, drilling close to the area has encountered some oil and some natural gas, although nothing that was considered commercial.

However, the key feature of the block as far as Providence is concerned is its similarity to Morecambe Bay.

That area is directly across the Irish Sea, close to Liverpool, and is home to a number of prolific oil and gas fields which are being exploited by BP and Centrica, among others.

Mr O’Reilly said yesterday that the Dalkey Island Prospect and Morecambe Bay area were once part of the same formation, but over time, movement in the earth’s crust split them apart. “This is Morecambe’s twin, and that area is very prolific,” he said.

Mr O’Reilly pledged yesterday that the company would move ahead with work on the Dalkey Island prospect. “We are very excited about it,” he said.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that when I read articles like this one above from the Irish Times a couple of months back. I think this is a very important thread that people should start taking notice of before its too late!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WOW never heard of that before now. I see your point but theres no mention of fracturing in anything I have read about them plus they are exploring for oil rather than gas.

Definitely something to keep an eye on but the credit crunch is mothballing most of projects like this as theres no demand or finance for them. Small projects like this were being driven by 2008 global demand, not 2010.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast