Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: who should be the 2nd labour candidate in limerick city

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool who should be the 2nd labour candidate in limerick city

If as suggested by Jan oSullivan and some LABcouncillors in the Limerick Leader tonight that LAB are likely to run a 2nd candidate in Limerick city who should the candidate be and would he or she have a chance of joining Osullivan in the Dail?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ymmek View Post
    If as suggested by Jan oSullivan and some LABcouncillors in the Limerick Leader tonight that LAB are likely to run a 2nd candidate in Limerick city who should the candidate be and would he or she have a chance of joining Osullivan in the Dail?
    It would be quite a risky strategy, it will more than likely be a three way fight between Jan O'Sullivan, Peter Power and Kieran O'Donnell for the last two seats in the new Limerick City constituency with Willie O'Dea and Michael Noonan virtually guaranteed re-election. The possibility of Labour winning a second seat now that the constituency has been reduced to a four seater are practically nil, a second candidate might split the Labour vote allowing either O'Donnell or Power to pip Jan at the post. At the moment Power would appear to be the TD most likely not to be in the next Dail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'll seek entry to a home for the bewildered if O'Dea ever again tops a poll.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tim O'Malley?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    I think I'll seek entry to a home for the bewildered if O'Dea ever again tops a poll.
    Given the current cutbacks there will not be enough mental health beds available for those who are bewildered by O'Dea's continued popularity so you better start making enquiries now to ensure your place when inevitably O'Dea tops the poll.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well at least now I know what party you are aligned to...

Anyway I dont think Jan would alllow a second candiate, either way what will happen if she has a seat in government (which she will) and instead of opposing every cut despite if it is neccessary, she may now have to make a informed decision and be held accountable (god help us)! The people of Limerick will then see what she is really like.

To be honest since Jim Kemmy has gone and apart from Joe Leddin (I think he is an excellent cllr and maybe a better TD), Labour have been poorly represented in Limerick.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Treatyboy View Post
    Well at least now I know what party you are aligned to...

Anyway I dont think Jan would alllow a second candiate, either way what will happen if she has a seat in government (which she will) and instead of opposing every cut despite if it is neccessary, she may now have to make a informed decision and be held accountable (god help us)! The people of Limerick will then see what she is really like.

To be honest since Jim Kemmy has gone and apart from Joe Leddin (I think he is an excellent cllr and maybe a better TD), Labour have been poorly represented in Limerick.
    You did not address the question.We can debate the matters you refer to once we deal with the question i asked.With regard to my political views i think it would be apparent to anyone reading my posts that i would be on the left.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a bold move from labour . I guess they are hoping for a backlash against Willie . I wouldnt bank on it tbh . Perhaps Tom Short might grab the 'yoot' vote on top of Jans transfers . Might be worth a punt .

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    It would be quite a risky strategy, it will more than likely be a three way fight between Jan O'Sullivan, Peter Power and Kieran O'Donnell for the last two seats in the new Limerick City constituency with Willie O'Dea and Michael Noonan virtually guaranteed re-election. The possibility of Labour winning a second seat now that the constituency has been reduced to a four seater are practically nil, a second candidate might split the Labour vote allowing either O'Donnell or Power to pip Jan at the post. At the moment Power would appear to be the TD most likely not to be in the next Dail.
    Labour were a wee bit above their national vote in Limerick East last time out, presumably with 2 candidates they should do as well, or slightly better. That national vote is in and around 30%, (+/-3% depending on which polling company you believe), so they should be able to get slightly above that, with about 7% in SF/GP transfers they'd expect to well among.

FG got a couple of points BELOW their national vote last time out, which would suggest they are also around 30% here.

If LP hold their support generally, and run a half decent candidate they'll pull the second seat on SF/GP transfers. For O'Sullivan to lose her seat as a result of this "risky strategy", the they'd have to be on about half their likely result on current polls.

You might dream of that, I don't know who you support locally, but it's just not credible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they will run a second canditate and succeed it will be a hisorical change in Irish politics. The only way I can see this happening is to have a 10% increase in voter turnout and poaching another 10% from FF and FG. Could this happen?

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast