Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 82 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Donegal's mountain scenery be sacrificed for modest wind farm factory energy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should Donegal's mountain scenery be sacrificed for modest wind farm factory energy?

The people of Donegal are waking up to the planned sacrifice of their pristine mountain scenery to colossal turbines that spoil the view for many miles Wind Watch: Save Our Scenery benefit concerts

Generally,such wind farm factories are hopelessly uneconomic and survive only because of very expensive subsidies which must be paid for in higher electricity bills.So the consumer is being forced to pay for wrecking the Irish countryside.
    Last edited by patslatt; 5th August 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Donegal is already destroyed with the amount of houses there. There seems to have always been a short-sighted approach to planning in the county. They may as well build away at this stage. There's better places to visit in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wind Farms are uneconomical now, but when we have soaring oil prices they will make sense.

These developments have to happen sometime so resistance is futile in my view, we have to build them somewhere. Might as well get it over with.

Obviously these communities haven't considered the jobs that will come to Donegal with new energy developments. Screw the scenery

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    The people of Donegal are waking up to the planned sacrifice of their pristine mountain scenery to colossal turbines that spoil the view for many miles Wind Watch: Save Our Scenery benefit concerts

Generally,such wind farm factories are hopelessly uneconomic and survive only because of very expensive subsidies which must be paid for in higher electricity bills.So the consumer is being forced to pay for wrecking the Irish countryside.
    No. Wind energy is inefficient and costly. It would be far better for Ireland to grasp the nettle and build a nuclear facility in Donegal. Clean and relaible energy, plenty of jobs. What more could you ask for? It would have to be a private venture though. Ireland is skint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wind farms are bogus investments to me. For what it is worth, I do recall Gordon Brown, during the UK election, mentioning that although it was quite windy where he resides in Scotland, it was more beneficial economically to have solar panels installed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPaddy View Post
    Wind farms are bogus investments to me.
    But not for people who actually make investments in real life.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wind farms are not scenically dstructive. They are very pleasant to look at. Consider the alternatives and you will see that you are not badly off at all.
    It would be far better for Ireland to grasp the nettle and build a nuclear facility in Donegal.
    Or what about fossil fuel refinery as in North Mayo?

I think you are lucky. I'd welcome a windfarm on my doorstep no problem at all.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes.

Donegal is utterly dependent on an oil supply that appears to be very fragile. They will need the option of electrically-powered transport.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SinnShane View Post
    Donegal is already destroyed with the amount of houses there. There seems to have always been a short-sighted approach to planning in the county. They may as well build away at this stage. There's better places to visit in Ireland.
    +1

Donegal is a mess.

If you want real rural scenery, go to England or Scotland.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SinnShane View Post
    I've given up - Ireland -North and South - is a joke in respect of looking after it's scenery. Ironic considering we want tourists.

I can see some wind turbines from one of my windows. I'd rather see them than more ugly housing . Only thing I've heard is that they can be noisy for locals ?

Page 1 of 82 123451151 ... LastLast