Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gang attacks students in Gaeltacht

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Gang attacks students in Gaeltacht

NI students attacked in Gaeltacht

The students, aged 16 and from Armagh, were returning to Colaiste Mhuire in Loughanure on Tuesday evening when they were attacked by the youths.
    It is understood some had their hurling sticks taken off them and these were used to beat them.
    Any ideas what this was all about ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    NI students attacked in Gaeltacht

Any ideas what this was all about ?
    Just a bunch of idiots I suspect. Good to see the noble game of hurling gaining popularity in Donegal though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi. I really can't understand how this made the news at all. Spent a lot of years in the Gealtachts when I was younger. Getting in scraps with the locals, which would occasionally get out of hand, was almost garaunteed most years. Usually over a student trying it on a with a local woman, or a local lad trying it on with a student. Teenage egos flared and idiocy ensued.

Not only do incidents like this happen most years. They happen several times most Summers. Having been involved in such ridiculousness myself before, having bottles and rocks thrown at us. Again, really cant understand how this made the news, or are they insinuating they were attacked for being from Armagh?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi. I really can't understand how this made the news at all. Spent a lot of years in the Gealtachts when I was younger. Getting in scraps with the locals, which would occasionally get out of hand, was almost garaunteed most years. Usually over a student trying it on a with a local woman, or a local lad trying it on with a student. Teenage egos flared and idiocy ensued.

Not only do incidents like this happen most years. They happen several times most Summers. Having been involved in such ridiculousness myself before, having bottles and rocks thrown at us. Again, really cant understand how this made the news, or are they insinuating they were attacked for being from Armagh?
    Indeed, it happens in nearly every Gaeltacht, as doesn't end with teenagers. I was accosted in the Gaeltacht myself for chatting to a local young wan, I was careful enough not to inform them I was a screaming queen though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    Indeed, it happens in nearly every Gaeltacht, as doesn't end with teenagers. I was accosted in the Gaeltacht myself for chatting to a local young wan, I was careful enough not to inform them I was a screaming queen though.
    No local screaming queens to fight with, eh?

As has been noted, it's like a right of passage for some muintir na háite and students as well. Why it's on the news, is beyond me.

And I'm not playing it down, but when the locals-daltaí annual handbags kicks off, the kids on both sides talk it up like a civil war.
    If you want a laugh.........
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    Cá raibh an áit sin? Must try to avoid it!

Seriously though,my lads went to Oilean Cléire a few times,no probs.Maybe cos the daltaí actually outnumber the locals.And loads of mates went to/sent kids to various coláistí samhraidh in Kerry and Waterford.Again,nothing to report.

Just as well;Munster people are a bit litigious.There would be a welter of writs if anyone got whacked with a hurley methinks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the only outlets that are reporting it are highland radio, naturally, and BBC NI, who would report everytime a farmer in Fermanagh has a ********************e.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jquinn View Post
    Well the only outlets that are reporting it are highland radio, naturally, and BBC NI, who would report everytime a farmer in Fermanagh has a ********************e.
    And with all the crap they be talking about on here about NI, no one ever mentions the tiny media bubble that they live in.

I mean when is the last time that a Rape made the first news item on RTE.

Such a bad example to use I know, but what kind of an effect does the coverage of such an isolated - don't get me wrong, horrific for the victim - but isolated event as a primary story have on the listenership.

And day-in, day-out every little incident, is somewhere to be found of the news. Take the story of the two sexually abusive fermanagh brothers, and all movement about different wards being covered daily. Such trivialites shouldn't be up there for (national) consumption.

Is it just that the soldiers left, but the journalists stayed?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Outsiders attacked by locals what will happen next I suppose night could follow day.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got my very first kiss in the Gaelteacht in Carna, Galway when I was 13. I rushed straight back to the 7 other girls in the tigh with me, and at midnight they decided that yes, I might be pregnant because his tongue touched mine. I lived in fear for months. But I naturally never forgot that fella, even though it was a very very long time ago.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast