Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the IRA take out the dissidents?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should the IRA take out the dissidents?

The North's dirty war involved agents and double agents, collusion and infiltrations. The States either side of the border were involved in acts of commission and omission that cost the lives of the innocent and not so innocent. We had shoot-to-kill, The Commission, Scappaticci et al, etc etc.

So, the authorities have never been above looking the other way when terrorists were being killed unlawfully if the 'greater good' could be served. The former IRA operatives on the ground across the North will know or can discover the identities of the dissidents. I doubt the new boys are being particularly James Bond about it all. However, even if they gave that info to the PSNI, which is sadly doubtful, there wouldn't be enough info to prosecute.

So, should the State look other way and allow the IRA to deal with the dissidents? The dissidents have threatened McG and Adams. So would the IRA have the appetite for it?
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Definitely not.

The answer is for members of the nationalist community and people in the ROI to pass on anything they know or suspect to the Police.

SF should openly encourage this - unlike after Omagh when Adams refused to call on Republicans to pass on information.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well first of all, of course not. There's a devolved police force which has the backing of the public according to the available polls. They enforce the law, not a bunch of vigilantes. Second of all, the IRA can't do much because they've decommissioned all their arms according to the monitors.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Second of all, the IRA can't do much because they've decommissioned all their arms according to the monitors.
    Some room for manoeuvring on that part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought LeDroit was a sensible poster, you never know do you?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Definitely not.

The answer is for members of the nationalist community and people in the ROI to pass on anything they know or suspect to the Police.

SF should openly encourage this - unlike after Omagh when Adams refused to call on Republicans to pass on information.
    That all sounds nice in principle but we are dealing with shadows here. There'll be no evidence, no witnesses, so there can be no accountability before the law. It's the same problem that the authorities faced in the 70s which led to internment. The IRA, acting as Direct Action Against Drugs did more to clear out local dealers than the Gardai could.

Hire a thief to catch a thief?
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    I thought LeDroit was a sensible poster, you never know do you?
    The end justifies the means. I'd Abu Ghraib the lot of them!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It would be a PR gift for the dissidents - especially as there would be every chance of innocents getting hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    The end justifies the means.
    That's what all the terrorists say.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You seem to inherently accept the claim of the Provos to be Ireland's real army. If PIRA why not CIRA. The real answer is the cooperation of northern Catholics with the police and failing that the reintroduction of shoot to kill but this time in the open and with the approval of the southern government.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast