Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgendered woman scared to return to Northern Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Transgendered woman scared to return to Northern Ireland

BBC News - NI transgendered woman seeks refugee status in Canada

As the politicians lap their expenses up they have done nothing on the ground to resolves issues of hatred, fear and ignorance in the community

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why exactly has this been moved then?

Are we not allowed to discuss the society which has been built which has engendered this fear in Northern Irish society? Or are the neanderthals incharge and transgender is an issue which never be spoken of?

Shame on you

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be fair, this is a serious issue and its a form of prejudice against the transgender community to move it to "silly season".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sadly, this sort of prejudice is all too common in smaller, more rural based conservative societies such as NI. The fact that this women feels that she will be attacked if she returns to NI, and is hence seeking asylum abroad, should set serious alarm bells ringing.

It's hard to see what kind of evolution will be coming about in this area any time soon given that the DUP is the party of the homophobic-leaning Christian Right, and therefore will theoretically veto any and all local legislation to aid these people in their plight.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sad that she cant feel safe in her own home

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say some of the people involved in such attacks are actually homosexual themselves, and maybe repressing their natural feelings in public.
    I don't understand why anyone would get so angry at people because of such a thing, unless their brainwashed by the Jebus Crisp Booble or whatever its called, or possibly repressing the same urges themselves.

The Kremlin's (gay club in Belfast) full of steroid Loyalist men with tattoo's running around with their tops off dancing like girls and kissing each other.
    The same people probably brick the homes off gay people in Belfast!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    BBC News - NI transgendered woman seeks refugee status in Canada

As the politicians lap their expenses up they have done nothing on the ground to resolves issues of hatred, fear and ignorance in the community
    Sorry, this sounds like an immigration story to me.
    She was living in Canada till her visa ran out and she was told to leave.
    It's tough really. I wanted to live in America once, but was just refused permission to be able to stay and work.

She doesn't need to live in Northern Ireland if she thinks it's all so bad. She's got the whole of the EU to chose from. Good luck to her if she gets to stay in Canada, but it's not even as worthy as cases of Jamaican gay people claiming asylum in Europe. Because Jamaica IS homophobic.

Btw, I'n not really up on transgender issues, because I've never met a transgendered person that I'm aware of. I've known loads of gays and lesbians over the years - not sure about ''bisexual'' as a category. (Does that include someone like Johnny Adair?)
    And as for transgendered ..... why does that get put in a ''LGBT'' category?

Is a transvestite male transgendered? Are you just whatever sex you say you are regardles of your sexual organs? I have no idea.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Transgender would cover those in the process of changing or having changed sex I think.

Gender in itself is a social construct.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    Gender in itself is a social construct.
    Hold on there. I'm pretty sure that even without societal constructs, I'd know that my girlfriend was fairly different to me physically, as I am to her.

What about gender is "constructed"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presumably she is a UK citizen so why would she claim refugee status in Canada?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast