Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Clancy and IRA Financing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alan Clancy and IRA Financing

Hi, I'm doing a bit of research into Alan Clancy... the two main things I know about him so far is that he played a bit part in the Arms Crisis when Blaney considered importing arms from America and Clancy - who owned a group of bars in New York - set up a bank account to facilitate the transfer of money. The deal came to nothing when Blaney instead chose to deal with Albert Luykx.

He then reappears in the 1980s when he was setting up a pig factory in Louth in the 1980s, and the government of the day (Michael Noonan the relevant minister) froze £1.7 million in an account under Clancy's name which led to lengthy legal action.

I hear in his personal life he was a bit of a laughing cavalier, fond of both the beer and the women. Can anyone fill me in a bit more on either his person and/or political life? And indeed were any of the other Clancys involved in the Republican Movement and/or wider politics? The family originally came from outside Virginia in Cavan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What are the odds of that.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    What are the odds of that.
    About 1 in 1,010,000, if you google the two words 'alan clancy' and the acronym 'IRA' together?

Somebody may be doing some family research!!
    Leges sine moribus vanae

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naclancy View Post
    Can I ask why your researchin my grandfather. Hes not from cavan so your wrong on that. Little that you seem to think you know is incorrect.
    And you cannot spell, you strangulate the English language, and your [please note the correct usage of this word] grammar is appalling.
    Leges sine moribus vanae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu Poppy View Post
    And you cannot spell, you strangulate the English language, and your [please note the correct usage of this word] grammar is appalling.
    Funny, I was just thinking of you on another thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Little that you seem to think you know is incorrect.
    So most of it is correct .....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Atually the Clancys were from Cavan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can I ask why your researchin my grandfather. Hes not from cavan so your wrong on that. Little that you seem to think you know is incorrect.
    The Clancy family were from Burrencarragh Cavan (just outside Virginia) although I think AC may have been raised in Monaghan by his grandmother... I'm an inlaw... doing genealogical research on the Clancys... and obviously the tie-in with momentous political and historical events is interesting...

Incidentally, AC's uncle Owen Hoey was an RIC constable whose was shot dead in a targeted attack in Dolphin's Barn just weeks before the truce in 1921.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes this is true he was raised by his grandmother(Hoey) in Monaghan, yes his uncle Owen was shot in Dublin on his way to propose to his girlfriend, as far as im aware it was never really clear who shot him......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lecheile View Post
    Yes this is true he was raised by his grandmother(Hoey) in Monaghan, yes his uncle Owen was shot in Dublin on his way to propose to his girlfriend, as far as im aware it was never really clear who shot him......
    You'd have to presume it was rebels - given he was RIC and not DMP he was hardly posted there was he? I don't know if he was going to his girlfriends but apparently he was coming from his sister's house in the area (she was recently married). Are you related to the Hoeys/Clancys yourself Lecheile? I have traced both families back a bit....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast