Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Irish People Still Being Targetted For Special Treatment On Entering The UK?

Default Are Irish People Still Being Targetted For Special Treatment On Entering The UK?

I was never singled out for extra special treatment on entering a UK port or airport, but I was just generally disgusted by the way I have been treated at that S---hole Holyhead and Dover, which along with Heathrow have disgraced themselves many times in their delaings with Irish people, who it seems are invariably terrorists or drug pushers!
    Just wanted to know if any of ye have experienced it and is it still going on and if so how can it be stopped!
    I heard it said The Irish Embassy has a list of complaints made by our citizens to the ceiling and nothing has ever been done about it, lick, lick!
    I have heard of many stories including assaults!
    Even Christy Moore has been subjected to this rascism in recent times!
    By the way, I don't take that as British people being rascist towards us, I don't accept that for a second, but the Uk establishment, the main abusers of ordinary British people has more than had its moments with us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you want to give a few examples? How do you know it was because the passengers were Irish?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the 90s this would be normal and correct as the I.R.A were active and being Irish you'd be more likely than a German to be a terrorist.

I'd be surprised if they target Irish people now as it would not be logical.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually Irish flights are still through separate controls. It very much remains alive. To think it doesn't is naeive or dishonest.
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Passionateheart View Post
    I was never singled out for extra special treatment on entering a UK port or airport, but I was just generally disgusted by the way I have been treated at that S---hole Holyhead and Dover, which along with Heathrow have disgraced themselves many times in their delaings with Irish people, who it seems are invariably terrorists or drug pushers!
    Just wanted to know if any of ye have experienced it and is it still going on and if so how can it be stopped!
    I heard it said The Irish Embassy has a list of complaints made by our citizens to the ceiling and nothing has ever been done about it, lick, lick!
    I have heard of many stories including assaults!
    Even Christy Moore has been subjected to this rascism in recent times!
    By the way, I don't take that as British people being rascist towards us, I don't accept that for a second, but the Uk establishment, the main abusers of ordinary British people has more than had its moments with us!
    I've been through Holyhead several times over many years and was only searched once, when my car was packed full of stuff, other than that never.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my experience that is simply not the case at all.

Anytime I've gone through London airports from an Irish flight, I have never even been asked for my passport. However, coming into Ireland from the UK I always have to show my passport.

It's also not unusual in Cork airport for the entire load of passengers on a flight to be lined up against the wall while a sniffer dog goes past. I have never been subjected to that in LHR or any UK airport.

Security in most British airports is just unpleasant in general post 9/11 etc. It can also be quite poorly and often incompetently organised, particularly in LHR i.e. long queues, lack of facilities, over-worked, aggressive staff. It's not targeting Irish people though anymore than it targets Brits.

My major gripe about LHR is the horrible hell-hole of a pier extension that is used for Irish and some internal UK flights. It's an utter disgrace and possibly the worst airport facility I have ever experienced anywhere. I have often spent a few hours sweltering in that stench hole. I don't know how the staff work in those conditions.

The air conditioning doesn't work, it's always either way too hot or freezing, the toilets are regularly filthy and can be smelled from the corridors etc. It's just gross and honestly you wouldn't expect that level of grot in an airport anywhere in the developed world.

I remember coming off an Air Canada flight and having to use some transfer zone at LHR which was equally bad. Canadian passengers were actually crying and starting to get really angry with how they were treated as we queued for 3 hours to clear security in sweltering heat.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    Actually Irish flights are still through separate controls. It very much remains alive. To think it doesn't is naeive or dishonest.
    Through a GB and Ireland channel, due to the common travel area, isn't it? Unless those from internal UK flights are also being discriminated against...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Through a GB and Ireland channel, due to the common travel area, isn't it? Unless those from internal UK flights are also being discriminated against...
    ;-) Touché
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    They have a separate control because neither the UK or Ireland are in the Schengen area so, ALL OTHER passengers have to go through UK border control in a much more rigorous manner than we do.

Most of the time all we have to do is walk off the plane and occasionally waive a boarding pass, although mostly you don't even have to do that.

It's a kip of a terminal though

The situation at Dublin and Cork is that there is no separate zone resulting in UK and Irish passengers being forced to clear immigration, even on domestic flights e.g. DUB-ORK.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have travelled several times to UK via flight and ferry.....never any hassle.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast