Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Estates-demolish the lot!!!

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ghost Estates-demolish the lot!!!

Ghost Estates of the Irish Property Bubble

I do not know who sponsors this nor have any connection to them but it seems an excellent forum to add to the debate in a pragmatic and very real way. There are a couple of ghost estates near where I live which should be in there.

Surely the time has come to de-zone (unzone)??? all the ghost estates and return the land to agricultural use.

As well as ghost housing estates there are heaps of ghost retail, industrial and leisure estates/complexes as well.

Demolish the lot and start again I say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we should use them as low-security prisons and combined drug treatment and housing for druggies. Particularly the ones very very far away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or, heaven forbid, drop the prices.

P.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Holy....

All those scarce resources used up to be demolished? As Oceanclub says, let the market sort the mess out. Sell them off at a couple of grand if need be.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Ghost Estates of the Irish Property Bubble

I do not know who sponsors this nor have any connection to them but it seems an excellent forum to add to the debate in a pragmatic and very real way. There are a couple of ghost estates near where I live which should be in there.

Surely the time has come to de-zone (unzone)??? all the ghost estates and return the land to agricultural use.

As well as ghost housing estates there are heaps of ghost retail, industrial and leisure estates/complexes as well.

Demolish the lot and start again I say.
    That's foresight alright. Like ripping up the rail network...

plenty of auctioneers agree with you though, and a few politicians, oh and a few vested interests, oh and a few couples with negative equity, oh wait and a few developers who wont be obliged to finish the estates....

With the list for social housing as long as ever, its highly ridiculous to propose such a thing as to tear down quality houses.

No infrastructure nearby..? when was there ever.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

What about the large numbers of Irish people who have been in the UK (and some other EU countries) for decades and are now retired or approaching retirement age? Some of them might like to return to the Auld Sod to spend their final years, but couldn't afford to buy a house in Ireland up to now.

They could, of course, rent housing, but maybe many of them have council homes in the UK and would be reluctant to give them up.

The Government could consider launching a scheme to house people like that in estates that have relatively good locations and rent them on favourable terms - anything would be better than the nothing that they are fetching now.

With their UK pensions, not all of which are paltry, people like that would add some spending power and stimulus to the economy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't get too stressed about the ones around Dublin, Cork and Galway. Given a few years and a realistic price level and they will fill up.

The ones on Cavan and Longford, even the edge of commuter belt areas like Youghal, those are a different issue. They may have to be demolished.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good idea. But what happens to the much vaunted "long-term economic value" of these places? Does that mean that Frank Fahey is wrong and we won't make a profit on NAMA?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you drop the price enough people will buy them. A house in Leitrim might just get 10k but if you are willing to live there then it could be the house for you, buy for cash and live a life with no mortgage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    If you drop the price enough people will buy them. A house in Leitrim might just get 10k but if you are willing to live there then it could be the house for you, buy for cash and live a life with no mortgage.
    Such houses would likely remain empty anyway, as people would buy they as cheap holiday homes and rarely use them.

So all the problems of empty houseing estates continues and the state gets small money in exchange.

Better to knock them really.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast