Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian counselling student ordered to undergo a re-education plan.

Default Christian counselling student ordered to undergo a re-education plan.

An American Christian student has been told she will not be permitted to graduate unless she changes her beliefs.

[...]

But because her beliefs about sexual ethics do not conform to the prevailing views of the counselling profession, she must change or get out, official from the university have told her. She has been ordered to undergo a re-education plan involving “remediation” assignments and “diversity sensitivity training.”

She must report back on how the re-education has influenced her beliefs. If she refuses, she has been told she faces being thrown off her degree course. She has also been urged to attend a homosexual parade in Augusta.
    Change your beliefs or get out, student told

An interesting story.
    1) A belief in "diversity sensitivity training" and re-education are the hall marks of PC culture.
    2) Link is from Catholic Ireland so we may not have the full story.
    3) Can a Christain councilar be expected to put aside his/her religious views and treat the patient impartially? How would she treat a girl who had an abortion, a couple seeking divorce, person suffering depression over the death of a loved one? It is even possible to treat a person impartially?
    Last edited by theObserver@hotmail.com; 29th July 2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds to me like she is probably a raging homophobe and the source is glossing it nicely.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theObserver@hotmail.com View Post

An interesting story.
    1) A belief in "diversity sensitivity training" and re-education are the hall marks of PC culture.
    2) Link is from Catholic Ireland so we may not have to full story.
    3) Can a Christain councilar be expected to put aside his/her religious views and treat the patient impartially? How would she treat a girl who had an abortion, a couple seeking divorce, person suffering depression over the death of a loved one? It is even possible to treat a person impartially?
    Would you allow a creationist to graduate in Evolutionary Biology?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I oppose clothing as it leads to oppression and fascism but my college course required I wear clothes so I did. If you join the army you wear the boots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A federal judge today upheld Eastern Michigan University's dismissal of a graduate student who refused to "affirm homosexuality" when counseling gay students. Julea Ward's case has been a hot topic on Christianist and rightwing blogs, who maintain hers is just the latest in the homofascist campaign to stifle anti-gay dissent at the nation's universities.

In an order granting summary judgment to the university on Monday, Judge George Caram Steeh of the U.S. District Court in Detroit held that the university's requirement that the student be willing to serve people who are homosexual was reasonable, and did not amount to an infringement of the Christian student's constitutional rights to free speech and free expression of religion. The university "had a right and duty to enforce compliance" with professional ethics rules barring counselors from being intolerant or engaging in discrimination, and no reasonable person could conclude that a counseling program's requirement that students comply with such rules "conveys a message endorsing or disapproving of religion," Judge Steeh wrote.

The Alliance Defense Fund, a coalition of Christian lawyers that is helping to represent the student, Julea Ward, issued a statement on Tuesday saying it plans to appeal the judge's decision. "Christian students shouldn't be expelled for holding to and abiding by their beliefs," said David French, a senior counsel for the group, which helped out in a similar lawsuit filed against Augusta State University, in Georgia, this month.

Last year Ward refused to treat a suicidal gay student, telling fellow counselors that her religious views prevented her from helping him feel better about himself. Ward plans to become a high school counselor, if anybody will have her after this.
    Full story: Joe My God - MICHIGAN: Federal Judge Upholds Dismissal Of Anti-Gay Student Counselor

My comment:
    I glad of this ruling it mean that she will have to follow the ethic of the profession she is hoping to join and she will get no expectation cause of her religious beliefs also im glad because she wants to be a high school counselor can you imagine any kid going to her for advice if he or she were gay!!!!
    Last edited by USER1234; 29th July 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-ECnFPTag&feature=related]YouTube - Students Sues for Right to Be Homophobic[/ame]

Sounds like she should be training to be a cleric rather than a counsellor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This reminds me of the freedom of conscience clause that religious conservatives wanted entered into the civil partnership bill. Surely if you're there to do a job you should do it regardless of who your customer is. Can you imagine being ping ponged around counsellors because of your race, creed or sexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by Bebsaboo View Post
    This reminds me of the freedom of conscience clause that religious conservatives wanted entered into the civil partnership bill. Surely if you're there to do a job you should do it regardless of who your customer is. Can you imagine being ping ponged around counsellors because of your race, creed or sexuality?
    But can a job like counselling be value free? Can a non-religious person opposed to abortion council a girl who is either considering an abortion or who just had an abortion? "Put the client first" sounds good but if you believe an abortion is absolutely wrong, will that not affect your therapy?

Re-education for Christians remains me of Christian treatment for homosexuality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But can a job like counseling be value free? Can a non-religious person opposed to abortion council a girl who is either considering an abortion or who just had an abortion? "Put the client first" sounds good but if you believe an abortion is absolutely wrong, will that not affect your therapy?

Re-education for Christians remains me of Christian treatment for homosexuality.
    They are trained it be non judgmental, impartial and not to use their own views while counseling, what this woman is doing is trying to force them to allow her to do just that and that's wrong

As for Re-education it not to force her to accept homosexuality but to be in a frame of mind where she could council them in line with there need and also to put there in line with the professional ethics of her upcoming profession!!!!!

I want to ask you 2 thinks:

1) As a councilor do you think it was ok for her to refuse to treat a suicidal gay student, telling fellow counselors that her religious views prevented her from helping him feel better about himself

2) She plans to become a high school counselor, do you thinks she be able to council any kid going to her for advice if he or she were gay??
    Last edited by USER1234; 29th July 2010 at 07:31 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An interesting story.
    2) Link is from Catholic Ireland so we may not have the full story.
    Who said she wanted to be all things to all people? If I was a particularly Christian person, pregnant and worried, I'd rather get advice from someone similar to me - that is what a counsellor is NOT a judge or assessor of what is right or wrong.

People are different, which is something PC culture ignores entirely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast