Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to take control of some Catholic schools

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Government to take control of some Catholic schools

"In an effort to promote diversity" the Government has drawn up plans to take control of some of the countries Catholic schools.

According to the Irish Catholic Newspaper, a list of schools has already been drawn up from 30 different areas around the country.
    This isn't really necessary at all is it. Firstly, have we the money for this, secondly, even if we did should the State be running schools at all!

Source: here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not if they run them the same way as they run the economy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazlitt View Post
    "In an effort to promote diversity" the Government has drawn up plans to take control of some of the countries Catholic schools.

This isn't really necessary at all is it. Firstly, have we the money for this, secondly, even if we did should the State be running schools at all!

I very much welcome this - its important to move away from our system and more to a more secular one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I know my own kids are in the same school that both myself and their grandfather attended. A Catholic school where preparation for the various church sacraments is mainly done by teachers. In my oldest lads class this year almost 20% of the class were opting out of first communion I think in our school this would be quite unusual but it didn't seem to cause any problems. It was dealt with very matter-of-factly by the staff and the kids seemed to treat it as a perfectly logical and acceptable choice. Point being a well run catholic school does not need to be a place where kids from other or no denomination need be uncomfortable.

The state already has a big say in the administration of schools from the makeup of the boards and the training of parent members of school boards to the curriculum that must be taught in the schools. In many ways I believe from what the church has been saying that in some areas they would be quite happy to relinquish responsibility for the schools where control has been de-facto removed from them because of the large numbers of non-catholic children attending the schools. As the state is already paying the salaries of the teachers and staff as well as capitation to these schools I cannot see it costing much extra.

I think that the parents of children in a school that has been selected should have the final say in whether a school comes under state control. I would include all parents of children who have been registered with the school for subsequent academic years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    I very much welcome this - its important to move away from our system and more to a more secular one.
    Why? What do you base this assertion on?

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sources for this story are extremely vague on detail.
    Phrases "like govt to take control in an effort to promote diversity etc bla blah" sound deliberately provocative.
    Can the OP post something with a little more substance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    The sources for this story are extremely vague on detail.
    Phrases "like govt to take control in an effort to promote diversity etc bla blah" sound deliberately provocative.
    Can the OP post something with a little more substance?
    You must have the actual relevant Irish Catholic issue knocking about at home there, no?
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A positive development - choice is good for families. Hopefully this is the start of a future where an array of choices are provided to parents in choosing what best suits their family and the specific needs of their child.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@The Field Marshal - blame BreakingNews.ie (link provided in the OP). It quotes the Irish Catholic Newspaper as its source.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deiseguy View Post
    Why? What do you base this assertion on?
    I think because the whole country is becoming a more pluralist one - not just Catholic there are now more people of other faiths and none.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast