Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [P.ie Survey] Over 88% of Politics.ie Readers are aged 25 or over

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default [P.ie Survey] Over 88% of Politics.ie Readers are aged 25 or over

This is the second in a series of posts to review and discuss the results of the recent Politics.ie Survey.

The first survey on gender is here.

We conducted a poll on Politics.ie recently for various reasons, firstly we wanted to know who you were, in terms of demographic information. We wanted to look at areas for growth of the site, where (and who) to target. Seeing where we have bigger audiences also helps us target advertising, the primary means of funding the activities of Politics.ie (we hope!).

The survey was conducted using the audience of Politics.ie, we did not seek to segment based on reader or poster. About 3,000 people login to comment every day, it's a sixth (sometimes a tenth!) of the total audience that visits Politics.ie every day. Almost 1,300 people responded in the end, which we exceptionally thankful for, it helps make the data more statistically significant.

The survey results themselves are amazing, we'll be sharing the results over the coming days. The reason we're drip-feeding them like this is that we'd like your insights into the results of specific questions.

Age Range

11.2% of Politics.ie Readers are aged under 25. 30% of Politics.ie readers are aged between 25 and 34, 42.5% are aged between 35 and 49. and 14.5% are aged between 50 and 65.

I'm very surprised with the age range of Politics.ie, in a survey of Politics.ie members in 2005 (five years ago!) 20% of readers said they were 24 of under - that's almost halved. The 25+ age group has stayed pretty steady, whereas the number of older people visiting Politics.ie has increased massively. In 2005, the % of users over the age of 35 on Politics.ie was 36.6%, today it's 58.8%.

Age Range (2010)

Code:
    < 18    1.30%
    18-24   9.90%
    25-34   30.00%
    35-49   42.50%
    50-65   14.50%
    >65     1.80%
    Age Range (2005)

Code:
    15-19   9.70%
    20-24   20.60%
    25-34   33.10%
    35-44   19.70%
    45-54   10.30%
    55-64   3.70%
    65+     2.90%
    Last edited by David Cochrane; 27th July 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting - perhaps reflects the changing use of the internet over time as younger people move to the newer fechnologies of Twitter and Facebook and more elderly people stick to the older format of discussion forums (which have been around since the start of the internet).

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm astonished at how old everyone here is. I would have expected the discussion here to be a lot more civilized given this information.

Twitter users are more likely to be older. I'm not sure about facebook.
    Last edited by Dev__; 27th July 2010 at 03:44 AM.
    Atheist in TCD? http://dusas.infravision.org/
    -5.95/1.00

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting to see that those who were under 19 in 2005 have got older (As you would expect) and have been replaced by nobody...

All in all, that's a good spread for the site.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also think it's a reflection of how P.ie has moved as a niche website to become a proper meeja outlet.

In 2005 Politics.ie had 1500 visitors a day, today that's about 18,000.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    I also think it's a reflection of how P.ie has moved as a niche website to become a proper meeja outlet.

Wasn't aware the growth had been that massive since then. Congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if no one else my age (18) wants to be involved in politics then I guess I shouldn't have a problem gaining a Dáil seat in a decade or two

But on a more serious note, I am surprised. I thought this recession would have sparked more young minds into politics and onto this website. If there's not a large generation of people coming down the line who care about politics then we may have some problems ahead.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a new theory.

Back in 2005, older people in their 40s did not tend to use the internet as much -- at work and at home -- as they do today. That was somethign students did. Between 2005 and 2010 there was a big growth of broadband and the 40+ online browsing community greatly expanded. So the absolute numbers of young people on the site has not fallen the relative number has.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    I have a new theory.

Back in 2005, older people in their 40s did not tend to use the internet much at work and at home. That was somethign students did. Between 2005 and 2010 there was a big growth of broadband and the 40+ online community greatly expanded. So the absolute numbers of young people on the site has not fallen the relative number has.
    Yup, that's pretty credible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post

Those figures suggest that some people stay here for years - I wonder how many of the 15-19 group 2005 are now sitting in the 2010 18-24 group -
    either with the same SN or a new one ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast