Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "The War of Independence"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "The War of Independence"

Twice today I came across the provisonals making a reference to the Tan War as the 'War of Independence'.

Once was in town (Dublin) earlier (OSF were handing out leaflets with this printed on it), the second time was Pearse Doherty speaking on RTE Radio's 'Drivetime' at about 5.40 or so.

In my time with the provos this term would never have been used. (Then again, in those days the 26 county 'government' was refered to as the Dublin Government, and not the 'Irish Government' as most PSF'ers refer to the State now)

Is this typical of the general malaise that seems to be creeping in? It's not my intention to start another 'provo bash' thread, but I am curious as to how this laziness is setting in. Is it lack of education? Is it that the provos simply want to see the 26 county state shoved northwards?
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PS Didn't mean to post this in the FF section, apologies moderators.
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. It is because they are growing up and leaving republican cloud cuckooland behind.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum - don't let the b*stards get you down.

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyser
    No. It is because they are growing up and leaving republican cloud cuckooland behind.

I agree with the first bit of your statement!
    Meon na saoirse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Moderator (Libero)> Since this is a topic about members of Sinn Féin (or 'provisionals'), I'm plopping it into this forum.

I honestly don't think it's trolling. Changing language, if that's what is happening, is interesting.</Moderator>

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero
    <Moderator (Libero)> Since this is a topic about members of Sinn Féin (or 'provisionals'), I'm plopping it into this forum.

I honestly don't think it's trolling. Changing language, if that's what is happening, is interesting.</Moderator>

Thanks Libero, and apologies for putting it into the wrong forum.

And let me reassure Shinners that I'm not doing this to stir things up - I just find it interesting
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus lads, not one reply??

Youse will be refering the the British occupiued six counties as 'Northern Ireland' next.
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I obviously wasn't aware how burning an issue it is 32.

I'd generally refer to it as the Tan War, more through habit than anything else. That's also generally what it's referred to by republicans. I've heard SF people refer to it as the War of Independence in conversation very rarely and never been that bothered.

But I've lost count of the amount of times, in conversations with non-political people that might touch on Irish history, where I've referred to the 'Tan War' and been asked to explain what I'm talking about. Mention the War of Independence to people and they know what you're talking about instantly. It's also the commonly accepted term so it's hardly surprising some republicans might use it in dealing with the public.

No doubt, this is another sign of Sinn Féin doing whatever it is anti-SF republicans are accusing us of doing this week. Youse have little enough to be upsetting yourselves with.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cain1798
    I obviously wasn't aware how burning an issue it is 32.

I'd generally refer to it as the Tan War, more through habit than anything else. That's also generally what it's referred to by republicans. I've heard SF people refer to it as the War of Independence in conversation very rarely and never been that bothered.

But I've lost count of the amount of times, in conversations with non-political people that might touch on Irish history, where I've referred to the 'Tan War' and been asked to explain what I'm talking about. Mention the War of Independence to people and they know what you're talking about instantly. It's also the commonly accepted term so it's hardly surprising some republicans might use it in dealing with the public.

No doubt, this is another sign of Sinn Féin doing whatever it is anti-SF republicans are accusing us of doing this week. Youse have little enough to be upsetting yourselves with.

Firstly, I appreciate your reply Cain, you are on of the few Shinners willing to address others.

Let me be very clear - I didn't start this thread to bash Sinn Féin. I Have been unambigious about that.

Whilst I accept your point about modifying language depending on who you're talking too, there is a big difference between doing this in a conversation and printing or publishing it. I suspect the real reason that this phrase was used was because it was on Adams' (the auctioneers) literature. RTE made this lazy mistake also. Another reason is possibly to present SF as being from the same gen pool as FF in a bid to win transfers.
    That is only my own opinion, I'm not accusing ye of this. It's just that subtle shifts in language always make alarm bells ring for me. Whilst the nuance may be lost on some, I'm sure Cain it's not lost on you and other Shinners.

I remember the time that the phrase 'war of independence' would've been anathema to republicans, but it seems that a new breed of young turks don't seem to mind.

Would it bother you if OSF had a campaign using the phrase 'Northern Ireland'? After all, going on your own logic this term is more widely used than the 6 counties.
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 32
    Jaysus lads, not one reply??

Youse will be refering the the British occupiued six counties as 'Northern Ireland' next.
    Factual already does. When you accept English Crown law as legitimate and cast the Law of the Republic aside as illegitimate, then you have to modify your language to justify your position. So "Crown law" becomes "The Law", the occupied six counties become "Northern Ireland", the Crown occupation forces become the "security forces" or "an accountable police force." The 26 county free state (or statelet as An Phoblacht used to call it) becomes "The Republic of Ireland" and Irish Republican Revolutionaries become "dissidents."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast