Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cathal Goan to Resign as DG of RTÉ

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cathal Goan to Resign as DG of RTÉ

RTÉ director general Cathal Goan is to step down after serving his full seven-year term, it was announced today.
    In a statement today, the national broadcaster said its board will shortly beging the process of appointing a new director general after accepting Mr Goan's decision to stand down.
    RTÉ director general to step down - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 22, 2010

change in "perspective" (or bias?) in RTE news and current affairs ...
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"full seven year term " ?

christ its not the presidency !

i know we slag RTE off as being an arm of the civil service/ gov but the pomposity of that statement is just laughable.

as to a change in perspective ?

yeah right, we know who pays RTES paychecks and theyre gonna be calling the shots as usual.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the 'High Society'/'Cowengate' one-two severely undermined RTE and Goan's flip flopping didnt help.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Statement by Minister Eamon Ryan, calling Goan a "true gentleman and a scholar"

Minister Ryan thanks Cathal Goan for his service as RTÉ Director General

Dublin, 22 July 2010

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan today thanked Cathal Goan for his service as Director General of RTÉ, and congratulated him on what he called, “an unparalleled career in public service broadcasting.”

Mr. Goan has announced that he will not seek an extension of his seven year term as Director General and is to step down from his role, on appointment of a replacement.

“As a man of real creativity, who loves the Irish language, Cathal has made a major contribution to both RTÉ and TG4,” said Minister Ryan.

“Cathal knows that the number one job in public service broadcasting is programme-making and he has remained committed to that throughout his career. He is a brilliant mind and has made a genuine contribution to the arts in Ireland.

I wish Cathal the very best for his future endeavours. He is a true gentleman and a scholar.”

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im sure he will be a rich man and rightly so, given the service he has provided over the years.
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I think the 'High Society'/'Cowengate' one-two severely undermined RTE and Goan's flip flopping didnt help.
    what is that about, I dont follow

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I genuinely don't think any DG was more accommodating to Government or accepting of Government impositions as Goan.

I wonder does he see the writing on the Electoral wall and not want to wrath of an incomming FG/Labour administration??!!

As for talk of public service.....rubbish. He was paid handsomely to do a job, the result is RTE in financial difficulty despite being bankrolled and a total failure to provide journalistic prudence and separation of Government policy and editorial judgement!

C

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
    As for talk of public service.....rubbish. He was paid handsomely to do a job, the result is RTE in financial difficulty despite being bankrolled and a total failure to provide journalistic prudence and separation of Government policy and editorial judgement!

C
    Amen on everything "C"

He was there for 7 years,

would he have signed off on Pat K, G Ryan (RIP) , Tubbs and co's pay packets?

Venal rubber stamp is gone, long live the next venal rubber stamp.

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much money would it save it they just got rid of RTE2 all together ?

Just flick it on for the sport and the Den.

Much like alot of the 'public service' its full of hangers on and people that should never be employed let alone be "broadcasters". I don't even think I need to list them.
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    what is that about, I dont follow
    The High Society RTE programme on cocaine, based on the book that claimed a govt minister was a user. Never substantiated the claim and was, without that substance, gutter journalism.

RTE then went too far the other way, with the embarrassing and wrong decision to apologise to Brian Cowen following the reporting of the portrait fiasco.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast