Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MacGill Summer School - Good or bad?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MacGill Summer School - Good or bad?

Just wondering about the usefulness of this annual summer talking shop which it seems is an outlet for many politicians to evade the party whip and others to get a load off their mind outside normal constraints of their profession or position but, beyond creating a wealth of soundbytes for the media during the silly season, does it really have a point or a purpose or can it really achieve anything beyond that? For example it strikes me that we have Dempsey again pontificating for the need for electoral reform (Quite right indeed) but he has been a minister in a government for the past 12 years that have failed in any sort of electoral refrom bar eliminating the dual manadate which was in itself supposed to lessen the local parish pump nature of TD's responsibilities, so when or how does he and his party propose to achieve this election reform he keeps going on about?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Summer schools are just a stamping ground for the so called intelligencia. Woner if the people who eat dinner in middle of day pay any attention to them. Some of them are financed by county cllrs who get expenses, though Gormley is cutting back on this. They are just glorified junkets. Humbert school in Ballina is on its last legs, no venue in Ballina could be found to host it this year, so its moving to Castlebar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I find it very strange that something founded to celebrate the life and work of one of the great Irish Writers has become a political playground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They sort of blur into each other. Nothing very much of interest emerges from them

utter self grandising tripe, the organisers should just shut them down
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retep View Post
    Just wondering about the usefulness of this annual summer talking shop which it seems is an outlet for many politicians to evade the party whip and others to get a load off their mind outside normal constraints of their profession or position but, beyond creating a wealth of soundbytes for the media during the silly season, does it really have a point or a purpose or can it really achieve anything beyond that? For example it strikes me that we have Dempsey again pontificating for the need for electoral reform (Quite right indeed) but he has been a minister in a government for the past 12 years that have failed in any sort of electoral refrom bar eliminating the dual manadate which was in itself supposed to lessen the local parish pump nature of TD's responsibilities, so when or how does he and his party propose to achieve this election reform he keeps going on about?

I believe they've already agreed on a theme for next year :
    The value of short sentences ( and I don't mean court ones ).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The people at the McGill event are people who have little or no power to influence events. As such, they attach great importance to talking about them. The people who actually control events are elsewhere, probably on beaches near their secondary residences in Spain or the South of France.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a useful barometer of what these people really think, they can’t help but give themselves away when given a platform for their ego. I'm sure it also brings in much business to a neglected part of the country, and coaxes these so called Intelligentsia out of their ivory towers into a visit of the real Ireland, even if it's just for a brief few days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do people view this particular gathering as good, bad or indifferent? Probably indifferent, most would consider it a platform for the liberal-left to indulge themselves in a few days of political onanism and verbal flagellation while invoking the name of the 'navvy poet'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any P.ie posters in attendance that could give us the down low on the flithy McDowell Cox affair?
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast