Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Cash for gold' and burglary linked?

birthday

Default 'Cash for gold' and burglary linked?

Several people have mentioned to me in recent weeks their concern about the reported increase in break-ins in recent months where only gold jewellery has been taken.
    Do all the cash-for-gold schemes offer a route for selling stolen goods that is simply too easy with no questions asked, just pop it in the pre-paid envelope.
    Should there be some regulation of these schemes e.g. payment into bank account, photographic I.D. or other such ideas.
    I have been told but have not had it confirmed that there are plans to tighten things up in this area the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is another link: the number of burglaries and the lack of effort put into investigating them - with a corollary being the few days/weeks a serial burglary will serve for each burglary.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cash for gold is better than cash for debt. Both systems are open to abuse, and indeed, regularly are...

Passport should be supplied with each transaction and every shop should have entry and exit cameras over the front door.

Shops should be forced to hold items for three months before processing, though if gold spikes you can bet your bottom dollar this will not happen!
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

I've know several people whose houses were broken into in recent months. One of their main cripes, is the attitude of the Gardaí involved in investigate the break ins,they don't seem to give a shíte. I'm speaking from experience myself.

It seems that burglaries are not as important as minor traffic offences.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Few simple procedures should do much to help:
    1. Each item presented to be indexed, with photographic id, PPS no. and utility bill.
    2. All records to be maintained for 1 year.
    3. Payment to presenter by cheque only.
    4. National accessible record of those not allowed to engage in business ( criminal record for burglary or fraud ).
    5. Close any outlet not complying.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    I've know several people whose houses were broken into in recent months. One of their main cripes, is the attitude of the Gardaí involved in investigate the break ins,they don't seem to give a shíte. I'm speaking from experience myself.

Minor traffic offences can be pinned down straight away, no nonexistent investigatory powers are used in the making of the case!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Good job Fine Gael are pumping money into rural Garda stations to meet the rise in crime, oh wait....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Revenue for the state in minor traffic offences.

Dylan2010

the only place I see guards now is in their local Spar. While I can see that its difficult to follow up a burglary, the guards do shag all when it comes to being visible about he community. If watching TV3 is anything to go by, private cctv is the way to go. maybe the beards can invest in that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast