Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Give Irish citizens in the six counties the right to vote for Uachtarán na hÉireann?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Give Irish citizens in the six counties the right to vote for Uachtarán na hÉireann?

Calling for an all-island debate, involving unionists, on achieving Irish unity by peaceful means, he said: “A start could be made next year by granting to Irish citizens in the six counties the right to vote in the presidential election. The current Uachtarán na hÉireann is a native of Belfast but if she had still lived there at the time of her election she would not have been able to vote for herself.
    An interesting suggestion, but ultimately meaningless, isn't it? It would be interesting if the Dáil made some some sort of constituency group for the North, similar to how the US allows territories (like Peurto Rico) to have delegates in Congress. They can't vote on floor votes, but can vote in committees.

As an Irish citizen living abroad, I'm completely against the idea of giving the vote to citizens living abroad - I think there are too many and the people whose everyday lives were to be affected would have their votes diluted, in effect.

Any thoughts?

'Militarist factions' in North denounced by McGuinness - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 19, 2010

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young Ned View Post
    An interesting suggestion, but ultimately meaningless, isn't it? It would be interesting if the Dáil made some some sort of constituency group for the North, similar to how the US allows territories (like Peurto Rico) to have delegates in Congress. They can't vote on floor votes, but can vote in committees.

As an Irish citizen living abroad, I'm completely against the idea of giving the vote to citizens living abroad - I think there are too many and the people whose everyday lives were to be affected would have their votes diluted, in effect.

Any thoughts?

'Militarist factions' in North denounced by McGuinness - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 19, 2010
    There you go then the "Irish" in Northern Ireland are living abroad = no vote. Why give them a vote and not the so called "Irish" in USA, Australia or wherever?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    There you go then the "Irish" in Northern Ireland are living abroad = no vote. Why give them a vote and not the so called "Irish" in USA, Australia or wherever?
    Because by virtue of being born in Ireland they get Irish citizenship. As long as they continue to live in a place that confers citizenship, why should they not vote?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The free state is finished anyway - who cares about its so called president.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    The free state is finished anyway - who cares about its so called president.
    Well, I don't know about finished, Cael. People have been predicting its demise since '21, so I'll not hold my breath.

Presidential vote would be pretty cosmetic, which is why I brought up the idea of a delegation in the Dáil.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An absurd idea...

So The Oirish will probably do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcut View Post
    An absurd idea...

So The Oirish will probably do it.
    Why is it absurd? Absurd would be insisting on misspelling Irish for no reason..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éamonn an Chnoic View Post
    I would deinitely be in favour of the introduction of a Northern constituency for the presidential elections. Would be great if just once the dáil did something positive for Irish citizens living in the north
    Aontaim leat. What about some sort of constituency group? obviously, they'd not be able to vote, but they could have representatives sitting at the table when all-Ireland issues are discussed, at least, and possibly have the power to raise issues for consideration.

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If a person has an Irish passport then fair enough why not? Lets be honest I couldnt care less about the North to be honest but someone possess an Irish passport then they are Irish, its only fair they have a say

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young Ned View Post

Any thoughts?

No votes for aggressive Nordies.

Give em an inch and they,ll take a mile.

Look at RTE FFS.

We should remove their automatic right to Irish citizenship immediately.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast