Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Businessman challenges constitutionality of Nama

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default legal challenge to NAMA - first of several?

Developer McKillen takes first legal challenge against Nama - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 07, 2010

THE FIRST legal challenge has been taken against the National Asset Management Agency (Nama) to stop the transfer of loans from a multimillion-euro borrower whose bank debts are earmarked for transfer to Nama over the coming months.

Businessman Paddy McKillen, owner of the Jervis Shopping Centre in Dublin, is trying to prevent the transfer of his loans and those of his business from Bank of Ireland and Anglo Irish Bank to Nama...

Mr McKillen and 15 of his property companies have begun a judicial review case against Nama, the State and the Attorney General in the High Court to challenge the legality of the State agency.

A spokeswoman for McKillen’s companies said: “There is no justification in Nama taking our loans. All our loans are fully performing against quality assets, with no land and developments. We are simply protecting our business.”

Could get interesting (ie even worse) if NAMA's not allowed take performing loans...
    Last edited by corelli; 7th July 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really don't see what his issue is, or his case. It's perfectly acceptable for one institution to transfer/sell a debt owed to them to another. Maybe I am missing something.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you
    down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    I really don't see what his issue is, or his case. It's perfectly acceptable for one institution to transfer/sell a debt owed to them to another. Maybe I am missing something.
    I think it might be a case of being worried about the optics, he doesn't want his companies associated with NAMA because NAMA is a filthy word in some minds.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if all the loans are performing fully whats he got to worry about - just needs to change his direct debits surely...
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Businessman Paddy McKillen, owner of the Jervis Shopping Centre in Dublin... is understood to be claiming their transfer would have a negative effect on his business.
    I wonder if anyone will conceed he has a point? ie: Owing money to NAMA is not seen as a good thing, because it puts you in the same category as Fingers, Fitzy and the rest...
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    I wonder if anyone will conceed he has a point? ie: Owing money to NAMA is not seen as a good thing, because it puts you in the same category as Fingers, Fitzy and the rest...
    As may be, but its hardly a compelling legal arguement is it?

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    Fingers and Fitzy don't have any loans in NAMA.

I don't think he has any case the bank has always been free it sell its assets at any time. But these legal cases will increase NAMAs expenses significantly

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McKillen should do what another Nama bound developer who's paying his interest is doing - get financing from a foreign bank to buy out the lot. Developer is free of the farce that is Nama, taxpayer makes a rare profit as loans are bought at 100c on the euro. Everyone's a winner - well perhaps except the Nama business plan which was budgeting for interest on those loans for several years.

Problem solved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to see the projections if SCAMA loses this case and all the performing loans stay with the SCUMBANKS

what do ye reckon 40billion loss?
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast