Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petitioning for online access to Irish Genealogy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Petitioning for online access to Irish Genealogy

Following the success of the online publication of the 1901 Census the need to improve access to Irish Genealogy has never been more apparent.

The Friends of Ireland Campaign is reaching out to all of Ireland's friends across the globe. The campaign is petitioning the Irish Government to improve online access to Irish Genealogy.

The campaign calls upon the Irish Government and Irish National Institutions to provide a single web portal capable of delivering not only details of Births, Deaths & Marriages but also digitised copies of photographs, maps, letters, newspapers, pamphlets, prints, music & voice recordings, video recordings, content on people / places / events / organisations, along with associated notes & full source information. The campaign further calls upon the Irish Government to provide the means by which the Friends of Ireland & the People of Ireland can share their Story of Ireland.

To express your support for this campaign please sign the petition at Friends of Ireland Campaign. Further information is available from the campaign website at Home page - Friends of Ireland Campaign - Welcome!.

Please consider forwarding this information to friends, family and colleagues who may have an interest in supporting this cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dlohan View Post
    Following the success of the online publication of the 1901 Census the need to improve access to Irish Genealogy has never been more apparent.

The Friends of Ireland Campaign is reaching out to all of Ireland's friends across the globe. The campaign is petitioning the Irish Government to improve online access to Irish Genealogy.

The campaign calls upon the Irish Government and Irish National Institutions to provide a single web portal capable of delivering not only details of Births, Deaths & Marriages but also digitised copies of photographs, maps, letters, newspapers, pamphlets, prints, music & voice recordings, video recordings, content on people / places / events / organisations, along with associated notes & full source information. The campaign further calls upon the Irish Government to provide the means by which the Friends of Ireland & the People of Ireland can share their Story of Ireland.

To express your support for this campaign please sign the petition at Friends of Ireland Campaign. Further information is available from the campaign website at Home page - Friends of Ireland Campaign - Welcome!.

Please consider forwarding this information to friends, family and colleagues who may have an interest in supporting this cause.
    I support the above campaign. It can only help to reveal more fully the Irish diaspora.

BUT ......Is there not a potential security issue here.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    I support the above campaign. It can only help to reveal more fully the Irish diaspora.

BUT ......Is there not a potential security issue here.

Online Genealogy is a well-established reality. Obviously all information has sufficient protection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Online Genealogy is a well-established reality. Obviously all information has sufficient protection.
    Having discussed this question in PM with dlohan I am now persuaded that
    it is impossible for the anonymity of a P.ie contributor's identity to be compromised by submitting the linked form.
    I apologies for ever suggesting that it would.
    I wish him every good luck in his mission!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It is a great idea but the task of collecting and digitising all that data is one that requires adequate funding and expertise.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It is a great idea but the task of collecting and digitising all that data is one that requires adequate funding and expertise.

Regards...jmcc
    That is already understood. The real question is whether the return would be more substantial than the cost. Is there much interest in Irish Genealogy, in Ireland, in Irish People, Culture & Heritage?

And would all of this require a cost input? What if, as the petition, specifies, individuals could share their experience, their resources, etc.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post

Regards...jmcc
    Look everything costs in life..... what one should be focused on is the benefits !

A significant (if not all) of Irish tourism, is (especially) yanks returning to the native soil to discover their roots.

The task of digitising all this data can be as simple, or as complex as you wich to make it. The staff of the records offices are quite 'underoccupied', as I have seen from recent visits. Additionally the daily dig up records for customers anyway, they could just scan in each as an extra step.

In the UK there are a variety of excellent generology services, which refine the scanned page down to year, quarter, and letter of alphabet, you then need to read the scanned page yourself to discover the exact record exists.

It could easly be financed through a public / private partnership anyway... I guess there woudl be lots of takers for this..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is already understood. The real question is whether the return would be more substantial than the cost. Is there much interest in Irish Genealogy, in Ireland, in Irish People, Culture & Heritage?

And would all of this require a cost input? What if, as the petition, specifies, individuals could share their experience, their resources, etc.?
    The thing is, a huge amount of this info is already digitised ! Its just all over the shop, and not entirely complete. There are plenty of interested volunteer groups who digitised the 1901 census date years before the government.... I accessed my own date 18 months ago from a voluntary groups database..

What is needed (as always) is some leadership....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    Having discussed this question in PM with dlohan I am now persuaded that
    it is impossible for the anonymity of a P.ie contributor's identity to be compromised by submitting the linked form.
    I apologies for ever suggesting that it would.
    I wish him every good luck in his mission!
    Bit of a paranoid thought proccess going on here eh!

Think you should be a bit more concerned about more obvious profiling methods, like user surveys on P.ie.....

I also believe it should be free to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast